Sinister: Pop Group Into Rock Venue Won't Go

Michael Jones tourajsig2 at xxx.com
Tue Sep 8 13:55:05 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Being a dismally contrary sort, I feel the need a strike a sour note
amid all the joyous list kerfuffle follow last night's Shepherd's Bush
hoedown (yes, I know I was the one telling you all to stop whining,
even when you really weren't, following the Leeds and Nottingham shows).

It was just too damn big.  They play quietly - it's part of the
appeal.  The Empire demanded noise they couldn't and wouldn't provide.
 And as these things get bigger, the experience is somehow diluted
(God forbid they ever play a festival) and, in this case, poisoned by,
well, quite a large number of fuckers, basically.  I'm not suggesting
for a moment that the B&S live extravaganza be restricted to a small
coterie of listfolk and their ilk at venues you couldn't swing a cat
in.  Oh no.  But perhaps a short residency at a medium-sized theatre
would be a reasonable solution in the case of the capital.  The band
might enjoy that.  Perhaps I'm being financially naive...  (More
radical alternative: don't play London at all... it wasn't cheap to
travel to West Yorkshire granted, but the beer's not as expensive...)

Musically, I thought it edged Nottingham.  I was pretty choked during
"Strap" too.  And finishing with the France Gall song was perfection.
To be honest, all this disgruntled muttering - it's only the post-gig
comedown talking, or the realisation that I'll never see anything as
good as Leeds again in my life...

Unless Scritti Politti tour again.

Mike.