Sinister: Loads of stuff

MATTHEW WIMBURY m.wimbury at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 9 15:29:24 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Right, few loose ends to tie up and replies to other posts today...

1) To the person who mailed me (or was it the list, i can't
remember....?) about new Beautiful South stuff, there's a single called
Perfect 10 out here on, I think, 21st September, with an album,
provisionally titled Quench, out on October 12th. The single sounds
pretty good with the trademark great lyrics still present...

2) I'm glad to see other people noticed similarities left right and
centre re: songs on the new B+S album. I think I mentioned all the ones
I found apart from Simple Things, as well as sounding like Stupid Girl,
it also sounds like Like Dylan in the movies. And the first time I heard
it I thought Dirty Dream bore a slight resemblance to Itchycoo Park by
the Faces too though since then I have been at a loss as to why i
noticed this!

3) There isn't much difference between the Looper and B+S Spaceboy Dream
songs is there? If any...

4) I was so honoured to get a direct reply to my post by Mr Kitchen,
and in
reply I'd like to say the divine comedy has been out for a while now,
and Hole are, well, pretty toss really, though I fully take your point
about the boycotting of them and the chart position. I'd like to say
though that the band has always seemed to have, though may not have had,
a sod the charts, the industry and the press attitude, one which I
wholeheartedly enjoyed to be honest. I feel that any anti B+S attitude
present in any of the above are just a reaction. And hey, Steven Wells
is an utter twat of the highest order anyway. I guess I'd love to see
B+S get a decent chart position but anyway it'll be the likes of stuff
like the All Saints album which hangs around for years stopping them
doing it as much as Mansun etc.

5) I disagree with whoever said that there seems to be a general
agreement on which songs are best on the new album, though if this were
true I would agree it's a bad thing. I think I've seen people mention
most of the songs as their fave so far. The highlight of this was when
someone said Ease Your Feet In the sea, probably my least fave at the
mo, was their fave, so I dont think we're all in agreement, and
everything's still fine :)

6) My current fave is still sleep the clock around, but I dont dislike
any and theyre all growing on me with every listen, especially at the
moment Seymour Stein and Chickfactor. Just The Rollercoaster Ride is a
bit long.

7) Would anyone be so kind as to copy for me (i could send tapes or
exchange something or whatever) some stuff by elliott smith, some stuff
by Tindersticks most of which ive heard but dont own, and the snow
patrol album songs for polarbears.

8) Finally (phew), unreleased songs like London...., Loneliness of a
middle distance runner and Hurley's Having dreams...has anyone got these
or likely to have these on tape at all? I've now heard/got some other
unreleased stuff but not the above....

Matt.