Sinister: Lunnon tahn

Lucy Munro lucy.munro at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 9 20:58:46 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

London?  Well, I *did* enjoy it - it was certainly the best I've
*heard* them, but it's a bit odd going to a comparatively big venue
when you've got used to seeing bands play in grubby little back
rooms.  I've only ever seen B&S in small places or churches
before.  Oh, and a shop...  A little shakey at the start,
especially as portions of the crowd seemed a little pissed (or
indeed pished) off, to say the least.  Sadly, as I was busy
talking to some friends I hadn't seen for a couple of
months I didn't even realise that they'd been so long.
Though if I'd had an early train to catch I'd have been
cross - a friend had to leave after 5 songs.  Had the
same thing happen to me at a Shack gig at the Jazz cafe a couple of
years ago when I was living in Cambridge & distinctly remember
stomping past Martin Rossiter on the way out, and him looking really
taken aback, as if he thought I was scowling at him.

But B&S really came together about a third of the way through, &
they sounded far less shambolic than any other time I've seen
them - harmonies actually coordinating rather than wavering.  I
kind of thought about going to the front, but I didn't have the
sheer blind reckless courage - made do with standing on tip-toe
and just about seeing the top of Stuarts Murdoch and David's
heads from time to time.  Until the end when it cleared out a
little & I got a glimpse of Stuart M.'s Felt t-shirt.  Honey
informs me that Mick Cooke was wearing a kilt, but I have no way
of knowing whether this is true.  Did anyone else see the boys on the
balcony air drumming?

I had a bit of nightmare getting home.  Had to wait ages for
the Hammersmith & City tube at Shepherds Bush & then it stopped at
Edgware Road and an announcement said there wouldn't be
another train for 20 minutes or something.  So I decided to get the
27 bus to Chalk Farm instead of waiting for the tube, as the last
trains go from Baker St to Finchley Road go at about 12:40, if not
earlier.  Kind of appropriate to ride home on a bus, now I stop to
think about it.  My friend Ben saw me at Edgware Road (we'd lost him
in the venue - he was off talking to friends near the back), and I
didn't see him.  I don't think I actually walked past him, but it was
pretty near.  I've told him it wasn't my fault, I was stressed.  He
says he was testing my powers of observation and I failed.  Bah!

Sorry not to have introduced myself to anyone in the pub - I got
there late, & had to try and find the man with my ticket before he
got tempted to sell it to a tout (apparantly they were selling them
for 35 quid).  And then it took me 20 minutes to get served at the
bar - I really should have got the hang of it by now, but no.

Oh, this is far too long and dull...

Lucy

Lucy Munro
lucy.munro at kcl.ac.uk