Sinister: music sounds better with you

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Wed Sep 9 19:29:08 BST 1998

Hello,

I thought of doing a review of the Leeds concert, but I can't improve
on Risso's.  And not just because he paid me a compliment. Instead
then, here's some moments to treasure from the weekend....

1	Live at Leeds.  All of it.  Oh yes.  Even Aberdonian bruiser
John Warrender is on the verge of tears.  Leeds is a 24 hour city.
And is it me, or is Stuart Gardiner growing?  Quote of the night from
Little Sarah: "So is this what it means to rule?".  Exactly.
2	At the pub before the Nottingham show, where a drunken mob
inside are singing "You've lost that loving feeling", "Do you they
know it's Christmas", and other hits.  A man in the toilet tells Chris
Leonard that "it's a sad arse that can't rejoice".
3	Running into my old drinking partner, the Boy Naughty, for the
first time in 4 years, in Nottingham when he was supposed to be in
Dublin.  A confirmed techno enthusiast, the boy had lost his voice,
but still managed to croak the words "Fucking beautiful" when I asked
him what he thought of the show.
4	"Pass the duchess on the left hand side."  Well, it made me
laugh.
5	Isobel belting out "Poupee de cire, poupee de son".  Serge
himself would have been proud.  Apparently someone was overheard
during the song, shouting the title, the singer, the writer, the
precise date of its entry into Eurovision, and the name of the
engineer's pet goldfish.  In the olden days, it was enough to shout
"Huzzah!  Splendid show".
6	Spinmaster Symington playing "I believe in miracles" by the
Jackson Sisters sending me scuttling to the dancefloor.  Chris and
Julia laughed at my expression of rapt concentration.  Philistines.
7	Tim Hopkins, after realising that his happy smiling face will
be once again be gracing the gutter press, hopefully accompanied by
words like "vignettes" and "maladroits".
8	The journey back from Nottingham, getting lost in Derby
(Keith's helpful advice "you need to find the big fuck-off dual
carriageway" was greatly appreciated) and being too proud to consult a
map, then driving through "a veritable pea-souper", and singing "The
day we went to Scropton" in a desperate attempt to stay awake as swamp
fever set in.
9	Rod's look of sheer terror when I introduced myself to him.
Rod, you don't half write some bollocks sometimes, but you're OK.
10	Lastly, Keith "I bump for a buck" Watson, whose antics almost
merit a post of their own.  He began by clipping my ex-flatmate round
the ear, and finished by taking the phrase "flower-bed" rather too
literally.  Rock, thy name is Keith.

So maybe the London show was too quiet, maybe it was too hot, and
maybe some of the audiences could only be described as wankers.  But
it was a pleasure to meet you all.  The kids are alright, we've got it
going on, and don't you forget it.

Love
Tag xx