Sinister: Seymour Stein mishearing?/non-home homesickness

Jonathan Wren jwg.wren at xxx.com
Wed Sep 9 20:08:30 BST 1998

Is it just me or is part of the lyric to Seymour Stein different to
what's in the inlay?

In the book it reads:

North of Scotland has he seen?
Won't he hire a limousine?

Now to me this sounds like:

Has he ever seen Dundee?
Ronnie, Harold and Rosemary?

Now, I think it *is* `Has he ever seen Dundee?' but I think the second
line is just my fanciful (mis)interpretation. I hope the Dundee bit is
really there; first mention I can recall in a song since Panic by The
Smiths.

I have been experiencing a very strange phenomena. It's homesickness
but, well, I'm in London and I'm at home. I've always lived in this part
of East London, bordering on Essex, bar Uni at Canterbury and seven
months in Dundee. But ever since Monday night and meeting all the lovely
people I met (mostly Scottish) I have been pining for Scotland; I think
it was Keith's accent that finally did it, for some reason making me
think of the hills around Dundee I used to look at on the 32/33 bus ride
back to Fintry. This is a strange phenomena and I think unless I see
Scotland again in the next twelve months I may flip out. I'm not
fetishising Scottishness (oo-er) but something about speaking to all the
friends I've met from Scotland gives me this weird sort of ache.
S'funny, I suppose.

I've been listening to the album loads, promising myself I will make
renewed effort to think of intelligent things to say about B&S to you
lot and hoping that The Boys (and Girls) with the Arab Strap might take
a trip down to Exeter (where I'm moving to soon) so's I can see them
this autumn. Who knows what time will bring?

Take care pop kids,

Jon

--
SAVE XFM: LONDON'S ONLY ALTERNATIVE MUSIC
STATION HAS BEEN MUTILATED BY CAPITAL RADIO