Sinister: Ink polaroid

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Thu Sep 10 17:42:46 BST 1998

There's me at work at the TV station running episodes of Charlie's Angels.
The woman next to me running the programming for the Fox affiliate
discovers she has a screwed up tape of Sally.  She barks "fuck fuck fuck"
over and over again.  Sometimes I wonder if she does that not because a
huge boo boo happened.  I think she does it actually asking someone
to......well, never mind.  At that point, I was nearly drifting off to
sleep, but then remembered it's only a few more hours until I get out and
get my Belle and Sebastian album.

There's me in my car.  I had just bought the Belle and Sebastian album and
am listening to it in the CD player.  I have plenty of time since I'm
battling the evil rush hour traffic.  I realize later on that afternoon
that my CD player is in "random" mode and not playing things in album
order.  It is during a later playing that I notice the band does their
usual or signature intro (depending on what word you want to use,  and how
big and important you think they are) of starting with acapella singing
then quickly building.  Nevertheless, this is the present and I immediately
like "Is it Wicked Not to care."  I can't say why.  Let's just leave it at
that.  I'm sick of trying to put in my own words why I like anything
because it comes out with some critical bull crap......I know I'll change
my mind later on this stance, so I don't know why I'm writing it here.  My
favorite is the title song, but I realized something eerie....a few months
ago, I had almost written a song with the same melodic line.  I kept
thinking "this sounds familiar, where have I heard this before?"  It
happened that it was one of those songs where I envisioned a different
melody line than the one that came out.

I don't know what to make of Seymore Stein.  This one worries me.  Is this
the point in their song that they turn into Morrissey by adopting the
philosophy "I'm not going to talk to someone and deal with them on a human
level, I'm just going to publish a song about them on albums for the world
to see." ?  I remember reading once during the height of Moz's war with the
media back around 92 that he would only deal with the media "through his
songs" and now fans have to listen to great songs like Speedway ruined by
the self pity of a rock star.  I know most big stars have that special song
or album dedicated to how they were shat apon by the record industry, but
for the most part, fandom doesn't want to hear it.  It's much easier for
people to get excited about "Get me away from here I'm dying" where
everyone has dreams about escaping.  Maybe it's why most bands last only a
few years losing their relavancy to the masses.  Maybe it's why poetry in
general has lost any chance of mass appeal and is only left for dank coffee
houses.  It's just words for a few people.  I happen to catch the tail end
of a local slam and noticed that there  are more poems about what it's like
to be on stage or how they stretch words beyond the realms of meaning than
there is actually any poems on anything useful.  They forget who their
audience should be and only work to please the same people they see
everyday.  Afterall,  at this point, good criticism from their peers means
something because their peers "are poets" and can hook them up with better
events and book deals while everyone else is a Zombie who just doesn't get
it.

Thumbs up anyway....it proves that they are able to overcome many people's
expectation of stagnation.

s.s.