Sinister: mash it up harry (hey isn't that very rude too?)

Honey honey at xxx.net
Thu Sep 10 18:41:24 BST 1998

Oh lordy lumme girl and boys, what a lot of messages and what a lot
of new people.  My little sinister machine is all sweaty and gasping
and mopping its little silicon forehead and flapping its wings (it
has wings).  Still, it's to be expected seeing we've all been "doing
something" in the last week.  My response is to post one massive
message, so my apologies in advance I actually do feel a little
guilty.

Well I have such a lot to say that all I'm going to murmur about the
music-hall experience that was B&S was that Mick did indeed wear a
kilt, just like on the LP (can't you *hear* it??).  And that the
whole thing was pretty magical, even if London was a little sticky.
It sounded fine from where I was (I was at Manchester on the
Saturday, and I remember thinking it sounded like I was inside an
eggbox).  And that I've entered into litigation over John Johnson's
wicked insinuations.

Hello to everyone new on the list, please read the WWW pages before
you get grumbled at and try and keep the list content special - if
you don't know who Sir Cliff is yet, you haven't done quite enough
homework :)  Hello to everyone I met at the concerts!  This whole
list-thing constantly amazes me, so if I looked a bit baffled in
London it was nice-baffled not smarmy-baffled.  Oh and thank you to
my house-guests for being such nice guests!  Sarah, you kick arse and
all sorts of other things, and Oon, love those pyjamas.  You all make
my yoyo spin.

Some other stuff from the lucky dip between my ears:

1. Seymour Stein.  What a load of nonsense.  Not the song, which I
love, but the reviews.  Why don't they listen to the words?  There's
no sneering whatsoever of little Seymour in the song, nor has he
nicked Stevie's girl (for God's sake).  Stevie's just wondering why
he's having to do the washing-up when everyone else is eating chicken
tikka massala with Steiny, and he's musing on whether such a rich man
can get his girl back for him.  Seems reasonable to me, it's just
like Jim'll Fix It (for non UK readers, oh never mind :)

2. Why is everyone saying P!O!O!  Who's saying P!O!O! and who's
saying the other word now?  I can't tell.

3. Philippe asked if B&S covered any other Gainsbourg - not that I
know of.  They did "Poupee de cire" at the Gainsbourg concert in
Edinburgh this year, so they didn't have to do much homework - I
think it was Isobel's replacement for "The Gate" which didn't quite
work in Glasgow (see the archives at.. oh, see the archives).

4. Sorry to all digesters for the mess while I was away.  For one
blissful moment you thought no-one was posting didn't you?  Well
you're all very patient, no-one demanded their money back.

5. How does Aurore know about me and quasars?  Do we have astronomer
stalkers on the list?  How exciting!  Did you know Stuart Murdoch
wanted to be one before he became a variety act?

6. The cover star of TWITSRUS is wee keyboarding Chris, being prodded
by Mick's big stick sword.  Chris's list detractors will be surprised
to learn that he's a number one pin-up according to someone nice in
Glasgow.

7. If no-one answered Tara, from memory the people in the Select
photo are Stevie, Isobel and Stuart-with-longer-hair, with Mick
sitting behind.

8. I don't know much about P!O!O!P!, but I must say the new Lambchop
LP is quite a thing too.  I *do* however have trouble "comparing" it
to the B&S LP.  Maybe my critical faculties are blunted, but isn't
the special thing about B&S that they're "in-here" somehow, when
everyone else, no matter how good, still seems to sound "out-there"?
Maybe it's the list, but I have a distinct memory that I felt this
the moment I heard them.  Their songs attach themselves to me like
limpets, and it's funny how this seems to happen on the fourth or
fifth listen.  I don't know why no other band seems to do this.  No,
I don't know what I mean either.  I think I mean they're very
special.

9: You know when Stuart's voice goes a little croaky and nasal in
Ease Your Sheep Into Mike Leigh?  I come out in a sweat and have to
suck a mint.  Does everyone else have to too?

Appendix A: I think I earned a diversion: can someone who lives
nearer the Thames explain to me what Ian Dury means by "Wembley"?
Well I can guess what he means, even for an innocent blushing little
flower, but I don't know how he... gets there.  I quote from his quite
fabulous and probably last LP, "Mr Love Pants", the track "Mash It Up
Harry":

"He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest
 He's got his little parting in his hair
 He's got his little trousers and he's got his little shoes
 And he wants a bit of Wembley up his you-know-where

 He's got his little garden and he's got his little shed
 He's got his little mower on the grass
 He's got his little garage and he's got his little car
 And he wants a bit of Wembley up his Khyber Pass"

honey xxx