Sinister: Chart positions and things

Ed Mason emason at xxx.com
Thu Sep 10 23:17:18 BST 1998

>I'm off to HMV to buy my third ...Arab Strap today - it's for my mum,
>who's crazy about the B&S experience. Any news on the midweek chart
>position?

The rumour I heard was that it currently nestles at number 8 in the UK
album charts, which may of course be wildly inaccurate but the person who I
gleaned it from assures me he's seen the mid-week positions....I guess a
lot of people will have rushed out and bought it in the first couple of
days so we might have the inevitable falling off in sales towards the end
of the week...but then again it could continue on an irresistible rise to
its rightful position...

Aurore wrote;

>Then this bloke comes up with his tape-recorder and says he's writing an
>article about how mad B&S fans are (he didn't quite put it like this, and
>said something more like "I'd like to interview people who'd come from far
>away for the gig") and I ask if it's for a fanzine and he says it's for
the >Melody Maker... So we went on raving about how good B&S are. But, ok,
enough >of that.

Mmmm, as someone also collared by said journalist at Nottingham along with
Tim, Mike and Pam, I'm assured that the journalist, Ian Watson, is an
obsessive Belle and Sebastian fan and thoroughly nice chap and as a
consequence unlikely to do any stitching up.  Which may come as a relief to
some.  Although Tim was assured that in the past as we know... And why do I
still have a sense of foreboding as Wednesday approaches... Have I made
errors?

By the way I have a pair of Tim Hopkins' very own generously proportioned
underpants at my house, left after the Leeds gig, and stained with Belle
and Sebastian-induced sweat I'll wager, ooh, the very thought leaves me
a-quivering, perhaps I should devise a competition or somesuch...then those
who didn't make it to Leeds can attempt to relive the experience by
standing in a fellow-listees 'attire', large mug of beer in hand and
befuddled yet joyous expression de rigeur of course.

Good to meet everyone at the gigs last week, I shan't attempt any further
reviews as these seem to have been more than adequately addressed, but
Leeds was undeniably and incontrovertibly amazing, fabulous, awe-inspiring
and a truly wonderous thing.

Love to all
Ed