Sinister: more rubbish for you to delete

Hopkins, Tim t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Fri Sep 11 17:20:57 BST 1998

A few observations on the new LP.

I can't believe that no-one has noticed that the recorder solo on 'The Boy With The Arab Strap'
is a dead ringer for part of the banjo line in Flatt and Scruggs' "Salty Dog Blues", only slowed
down.
Also that the story read out on "Spaceboy Dream" is a direct lift from chapter twenty of "The
Brothers Karamazov", only with the words changed.
Talking of Spaceboy Dream, has anyone noticed the similarity between that and the D.A.F. classic
'Kebab Traume'? It's uncanny.

Has anyone noticed that if you take the CD, hold it printed side up, then turn it upside down,
it looks just like other CDs of the same size? Also, that if you put the CD in your CD player
and press 'play' then music comes out?
I think they stole this idea from another band. I think it might have been the Bee Gees, but I'm
not sure.

I have a number of burning questions about the band. Among these are:
- why are they called Belle and Sebastian when there are more than two of them in the band?
- are they singing about a cat in the song 'A Century Of Elvis'? Or is it a piece of green
vegetable matter?
- is it possible for anyone to use the search facility on the archives, or only individuals with
brains?

If anyone has any old or embarrassing photographs of the band, especially ones which involve
nudity, or which were taken with zoom lenses through windows to invade the band's private
moments, could you copy them for me? I'll refund the cost of copying and postage, like a
photocopy of the piece of bogroll which I found when sneaking into a lav that Stuart M had just
used.

Oooh blimey, I don't feel the same without my pants.

cheerio

Tim

PS  Keith wrote:

>I like the version of Be thankful
>for what you've got. Is the William De Vaughn version the original, it's
>set me in doubt.

Yes it is. Listen out for a great version on the Lee Perry compilation 'Shocks of Mighty', sung
by Bunny Clarke, I think. Or someone else possibly.