Sinister: That is SO true!

Reid reid.dossinger at xxx.com
Fri Sep 11 19:15:35 BST 1998

Tim H!O!P!kins wrote:

> I can't believe that no-one has noticed that the recorder solo on 'The Boy With The Arab Strap'
> is a dead ringer for part of the banjo line in Flatt and Scruggs' "Salty Dog Blues", only slowed
> down.
> Also that the story read out on "Spaceboy Dream" is a direct lift from chapter twenty of "The
> Brothers Karamazov", only with the words changed.
> Talking of Spaceboy Dream, has anyone noticed the similarity between that and the D.A.F. classic
> 'Kebab Traume'? It's uncanny.

I'm so glad someone finally said it!  Those bastards in B&S!
Plagarists!  And everyone seems to be completely content with letting
them get away with it.

"Spaceboy Dream" is a complete rip-off of a) all spoken word songs and
b) anything with a funky beat.  "It Could Have Been A Brilliant Career"
is just "Mrs. Robinson" with different words, melodies and music.  A
wicked wanky bagpipe solo?  That's been done before.  "A Summer
Wasting"?  It's just "Sweet Home Alabama" with a few twists.
"Chickfactor" is pratically a remake of "Fuck Tha Police" and it's only
a matter of time before Alice Cooper sues for what they did to "Schools
Out" on Tigermilk.

Seriously...Yes, a lot of B&S's bits sound like other songs, but this
has always been one of the appealing things about the band...that they
sound like re-discovering a song that you hadn't heard in years.  And I
can even see why people think the beginning of The Boy...does sound a
bit like "Spirit In the Sky".  But...If anything on the new album sounds
like anything else, it sounds like (gasp!) Belle and Sebastian.  The
melody to the title track sounds like the melody on "Electronic
Renaissance" and "...Brilliant Career" is fairly similar to "...Track
and Field".  But I think we can forgive B&S for sounding like
themselves, hm?

~Reid, who is perfectly aware that Tim was joking.

--
"I try to be nice to at least one person a day.  Today isn't your day.
Tomorrow isn't looking very good either."