Sinister: The Boy with the arab strap ramblings

Matthew Neimark mneimark at xxx.com
Fri Sep 11 20:19:57 BST 1998

A lot of the talk of similarities between this new album and other
things from the past that people have noticed (I myself also noticed the
Carly Simon similarity, but then again "You're so Vain" sounds like a
ripoff of Carol King's "Too Late Baby").  I think that "Seymour Stein"
is almost note-by-note rendition of Nick Drake's Northern Sky.

It isn't the 1st B&S to sport such similarities.  When my sister 1st
heard sinister, she thought "Get Me Away from Here I'm Dying" sounded
like some 70's song.  I myself thought it sounded like "All Fall Down"
from Primal Scream's 1st single in 1986.

Just goes too show that Tigermilk was the bands best album...

All humor aside, The Boy With the Arab Strap is a fabulous album and it
reaffirms my faith in them.  I think any one of 6 songs on the album
could be huge radio hits, if not for the names (Sorry, I just cannot
hear Casey Kesem saying, "And that was the Scottish Band Belle and
Sebastian who just moved up a notch to #4 with their first hit, Dirty
Dream #2."  "Simple Things" would be a smash hit if it were at least 2
and a half minutes long.

Its funny though.  When I first heard it, I was a bit dissappointed.
Their music has a strange and subtle effect on you:  You think its too
simplistic at first, and a lot of the songs don't seem to be going
anywhere.  But after a few listens, its as if the songs convince you
that they are supposed to be the way they are.  I think most of their
releases have been that way, save for a few songs (Photo Jenny, State
I'm In, Judy and the Dream of Horses, Seeing other People, String Bean
Jean), all of which grabbed me right away.

One more similarity I noticed was the cover, which shows Chris Geddes
with an arrow through his chest.  This reminded me of the cover of both
My Bloody Valentine's "You Make Me Realise" and 10,000 Maniacs "In My
Tribe," both excellent records by the way.

Matt