Sinister: 5 star bumper pop hit

Honey honey at xxx.net
Sat Sep 12 18:17:35 BST 1998

Oh, here's another review for the archive, if anyone's keeping them,
this one sent to me before publication by an anonymous admirer.  But
I see "Uncut" is out today anyhow, so it's not so exciting now.
Sorry.

Anyway, the reviewer, Bobert McTiggerty, is clearly after a roll in
the hay with one or other of the band.  That's funny, because we're
after a roll in the hay with him, aren't we?

> BELLE AND SEBASTIAN - The Boy With The Arab Strap (Jeepster) (*****)
>
> To their detractors, this Glaswegian eight piece are indie cannon
> fodder, courting some outmoded amateur ethic, sulkily refusing to talk
> to the press, and relevant only to a generation of precious, asexual
> bedsit losers.  Not that this seems to concern Belle and Sebastian.
>
> Listening to this LP, it is clear that this is a band possessed by quiet
> ambition, and a growing confidence particular to those who have stumbled
> on something truly special.  Building on gentle, fragile tunes and
> sharp, witty vignettes of daydreaming idealists and romantic maladroits,
> the record marks Belle and Sebastian's arrival as a fully fleshed group.
> The Northern stomp and euphoric swirls of "Dirty Dream #2", the lush
> melancholy of the transatlantic love ballad "Chick Factor", and the
> surprisingly tripped out "Spaceboy Dream" reveal a refreshing diversity,
> with strings, organ, jugband guitar, and trumpet all adding colour to
> increasingly rich and breathtaking arrangements.  A 24-carat love
> affair.

I've got another crackingly bad review of the London gig in The
Independent yesterday, but that'll have to wait until my fingers come
unstuck.

honey xxx

P.S.  Sending pictures, or attachments of any kind to the list is
deemed a Bad Thing, due to the number of people with slow dial-up
connections.  A few have done it recently - sorry but I'm getting
requests they don't.  If anyone has any pictures they'd like to
share, send them to me directly and I'll put them on the "Things We
Made At School Today, Mummy" page on the Sinister site.  I'll put any
old shite up on there.  And if they're rude, they'll go on my bedroom
wall too.