Sinister: The horror! The calmity! The Jane! The Joanna!

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at xxx.com
Sun Sep 13 21:35:07 BST 1998

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Fluffy Sarah wrote:

> Hey Jake, I'm 17 and I think I should tell you that al the "classics"
> being tossed around this list are probably all shit anyway (apart from
> Nick Drake and whatever tape Tim P!O!O!Kins makes you, and Felt, but

As Kevin Matthews (Chicago radio personality) would say, in a mocking,
fake-DJ voice, "It doesn't have to be old to be a classic".

After much hemming and hawing, I picked up some Nick Drake the other day.
The overpriced bookstore had 2 of the individual albums, while the
similarly overpriced Tower Records had only the 4-CD boxed set which
contains all his recorded works.  After consulting a few reference books,
I took one reviewer's advice that anyone with one Nick Drake record will
eventually need them all.  I can say without hesitation that you can go
right for the boxed set, _Fruit Tree_.  That is not to say Nick Drake's
music specifically resembles Belle and Sebastian's, though you would
notice certain similarities.  The point is that anyone here must enjoy
intelligent, hypersensitive, melancholic, folk-influenced songs.  So
thanks to everyone who mentioned Nick Drake.

> *I* KNOW the album is a dirct rip off of DON'T BORE US GET TO THE
> CHORUS

There are only so many possible chords.  Sooner or later some of the same
ones are going to show up in the same order.  No point in allowing some
dead, European composers to spoil a dominant seventh chord for everyone.

--Mark

__  <http://www.xnet.com/~mkolmar/BurningRome> <MPEG & RA audio clips>
    Imminent: SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14

                "The electricity is no better off than on."