Sinister: Reinventing apostrophes

Nick Dastoor nickdastoor at xxx.com
Tue Sep 15 18:00:08 BST 1998

Brier Rabbit wrote:

> 2. It's amazing, the lack of comparisons to The Smiths. Maybe I'm
late > and we've been through all this before. Shit, I'd better check
the
> archives.

Ssssh, everyone on the list used to be obsessed by The Smiths (except
FluffySarah who preferred Mr Bean).  Everyone is also smitten by
Isobel Campbell (except Peter Miller, who prefers Harriet Harman).
However, it isn't the done thing to mention these things for fear of
appearing a stereotypical bed-wetter.

On that note, how about at the next concert, putting Stuart's poser to
the test.  If we were to remove our clothes, *do* you think the singer
would notice?  When I give the sign, you are all to whip off our
anoraks and run around waving your bits and pieces.  It will create a
media sensation and the press will have to revise their stock
stereotype from 'bed-wetting anorak vegetarians' to 'bed-wetting
anorak veggies WITH MENTAL DISORDERS'.  How great would that be?

Reasons TWATTYBUS is good but it's not quite right, Part 22:-

There are a number of ERRORS INVOLVING APOSTROPHES in the lyric sheet.
Consider:

"Ease you're feet into the sea"  (Gasp!)
"Scouring everybodies face for some small flicker of the truth" (Ugh!)
"Could you put a name to someone elses sigh?" (D'oh!)

Who is responsible, D&K?

Nick xxx