Sinister: Woolies' chart position

david kitchen shop at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 16 11:16:13 BST 1998

Stephen Garland wrote:

<snip>
> I needed some little plastic things that only Woolies sells, so I
> popped over there this lunchtime. <snip> I went
> over to the record section - <snip> to look at the Woolworth's Top 75
> to find TW*TTYBUS at number...ermmm...it wasn't there at all!
<snip>

when we were shipping out the pre-orders of the album a strange thing
came over us, a weird desire came over us to help the little indie
stores and to not give a shit about the big chains who hadn't stocked
b&s before and were now doing so just to make the moeny and not because
they cared for the music.

so when woolies asked the distribution company for a similiarly
ludicrous discount that they get from EMI and Sony, (i.e. cheap and
include the album in a buy 2 get 38 free type offer!), we just told them
to go get screwed and pay the dealer price without whinging.

we gave what discount we could afford to places like 'rough trade',
'fopp' and 'missing' who are all lovely stores and actually love the
music.

woolies should've gone back on their decision to not buy any since we
hadn't given them discount, since we had got into the official charts.
but who cares if woolies have it or not - if you've yet to buy it or
need to buy more in the run up to christmas, then give your money to an
indie. go to 'rough trade' even if it means an extra bus ride or
something.

when you buy an 'indie' record you help to support new music and a label
that trys to bring new music to you. but if you buy from a major store
then you're only helping them to dictate what you'll buy next through
supporting their policies - so buy through an 'indie' store too and help
support the outlets for the new music that's created.

you know it's the right thing to do :)

david kitchen

     david kitchen : merchandising and websites : jeepster records

                         http://www.jeepster.co.uk/
                http://www.jeepster.co.uk/belleandsebastian/

                       mailto:shop at jeepster.co.uk

 jeepster recordings ltd, 217 canalot, 222 kensal road, london w10 5bn

       with the words 'subscribe news' in the body of the message
     there is no need to subscribe if you are on the 'sinister' list