Sinister: Woolies' chart position

Corpora Arenacea lonelyhighway at xxx.com
Wed Sep 16 14:06:37 BST 1998

umm.... I take sort of serious issue with the following....
I mean, supporting indie stores and all is great, yes, but the
unfortunate truth is that most Mom + Pop record stores don't exist
outside of major urban centers around the world anymore.
In my hometown, in the United States, your only option to get any music
AT ALL was to drive for an  hour and a half to get to a Woolies-style
establishment. Driving to an indie store takes anywhere between six and
twelve hours round trip.
In other words, not an option.
Point being, Belle and Sebastian have made records that could not only
conquer the world but bring a measure of unvarnished goodness into it,
and I think the merchandising department's hobbling them is not only a
sin but a darn shame.
If love of music was what really drove your department you'd be selling
your CD's at the price it cost you to manufacture them.... no? Of course
not.
I think that it would be wise to jump on every chance to get their music
out there now, before their talent dries up and goes away and they
become an embarrassment to their former selves like the Average White
Band or something. Driving back to my hometown (nine hours each way) I
put in "If You're Feeling Sinister" and my PearlJam/Dave
Matthews-obsessed traveling partner was nearly in tears at having a
whole new, better world revealed to him, joyous and unbelieving. This is
no shit, brothers and sisters. With a "Fox In The Snow" He Was Healed.
Anyhow.
Nuff tirade.
Get the word out.