Sinister: further RS revelations

M.J. Hibbett mjh18 at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 16 14:29:46 BST 1998

> I hate to keep posting about this retarded book, but I thought this was
> relevant, sort of - the Average White Band were, in fact, Scottish. I'll
> have you know that that was a secret to me. And they named their second
> album 'AWB' a 'perfect album' (5*). Was there ever a secret scene of
> funky boogie in Scotland, of which the Average White Band was the
> proverbial shark's fin?

Fascinating Fact: Bloke out of Average White Band played Bass in Paul
McCartney's band around Flowers in the Dirt/Off The Ground time.

Er... or so somebody told me. I certainly wouldn't know.

Woolworths stuff - while it is of course entirely VALID to give discounts to
indie stores and not to such lackeys of THE MAN as Woolworths (actually DOUBLE
VALID), it should be remembered that not every town has an indie store - one of
the JOYS of B&S is the whole Not Kowtowing To Londo-Centric MEdia BIT and in
fact Doing It For The KIDS, many of whom only have Woolies as an outlet. Or WH
Smiths, so would be a shame to alienate them. I wish woolies would take my
records...

In MOJO (which i read in the shop) there is a big list of 100 top singers, which
is quite interesting - no B&S, but i think Nick Drake's in there, and Bob Dylan
comes admirably high.

Is Floral Graffiti the new name then? Surely NME can't get anything wrong?

Must get on now and MOURN the loss of Xfm, because my previous stance of not
caring is apparently the same as being THE DEVIL, according to said tome of
Correctness...

Cheers,

Mark