Sinister: Angelic indie stores versus the evil big stores

will grey tridophelom at xxx.com
Wed Sep 16 16:15:09 BST 1998

 Everyone I know who's worked in one of these shops has
>wound up hating it cause they thought they'd be into the music, and
they're
>essentially into making money.
hmmm...  yes, some indie stores are certainly run by evil people, but
the point is we KNOW giant corporate entities are run by demons...
Plus, the reason all you folks in small towns don't have indie stores in
the first place is because you keep buying your damn music from KMart,
Woolworth's etc...  Most mom and pop stores do mailorder...  The man is
difficult to get around sometimes, but it's certainly worth the effort
to know that you're not helping the evil ones completely take over...  I
am in new york city...  In the two years I've been here, the number of
indie bookstores has decreased by two thirds (no joke) due to the
presence of Barnes and Noble...
re: getting b & s out to the widest possible audience...  I certainly
hope b & s are not attempting to take over the world or anything...
they certainly seem to have reached a decent number of folks already,
and I would guess that (for the moment, at least) they are in this for
the love of creating beautiful things...  that's one reason I not only
like their music, but respect them as well (as much as you can respect
folks you don't really know, anyway)...
sigh...

and "remain in light" is a great album...  record store employees are
often big dorks, but at least in an indie store, you have a good chance
of being sold stuff by people who actually LIKE music, whether or not
they're too cool for the talking heads...

and re: someone's previous comment about working for 8 years in a music
magazine being the definition of a musical idiot (or some less awkward
phrasing): yes...  an example being Dave Marsh, editor of the Rolling
Stone Music Guide...
Fopp and Missing certainly don't hide their
>Sting(*) albums in a corner somewhere, they're always there, smacking
you
>in the face as soon as you enter the place. When I lived in Falkirk,
>Woolworths was the only place I was really able to buy records - apart
from
>Sleeves, which was an "indie" record shop. I didn't like that shop, the
guy
>once laughed at me for buying "Remain in Light" by Talking Heads.
>
>	Another point is that by confining B+S records to purely indie stores,
you
>are somewhat just preaching to the converted aren't you? I realise the
>intentions are good, but surely it'd be better if there was a B+S album
in
>woolies rather than just another Colour me Badd album. Fopp for one
have
>often forced me to go to HMV to buy albums. Last year I decided to
upgrade
>my copy of Remain in Light (for the second time. 10 years ago in
Sleeves I
>bought it on tape, 5 years ago I bought it from the great Professor
Plastic
>second hand for 4 quid) to CD. It was like 14.99 in Fopp, and 11.99 in
HMV.