Sinister: I'm gonna make love to you woman

Mctaggart, Robert MctaggartR at xxx.com
Wed Sep 16 16:39:10 BST 1998

Dearly Beloved,

It's that time of year again, when ponytailed A&R men crawl lift their
noses from the Colombian Marching Powder and venture to the frozen
tundras of the North, to Manchester, in fact, for the In the City
festival.  For us residents, this means three days of trotted around the
city's bars and clubs watching bands with crap names who assure us
"we're going to be massive", and laughing at them.  All for free.
Sometimes, someone interesting plays.  Three years back, I saw four
teenagers from Sunderland who wanted to be the Shangri-las.  The drummer
looked like a bit like me.  They were called Kenickie, and I must admit
I thought they were ace.  I got into a row with one of the ponytails who
refused to believe they were 17 (apparently, they were "too clever to be
17"), I told him he'd never been 17 in his life so what did he he know.
And for extra effect, I said it in a Noel Coward voice, and turned him
into a blubbing wreck.  But I digress.  Last night we saw The Kings of
Convenience, from Bergen, Norway, who I believe some of you have seen
doing their thing at Old Mother Trousers' Po Caf.  No-one told me they
were good though.  And they were.  They played on the roof, like the
Beatles, and wooed the crowd all of a-smile, with natural star quality
(Erlend, a dead ringer for Dennis Pennis, did an impromptu impression of
Isaac Hayes in "South Park"), and warm and lovely accoustic songs.
"Free Design without the girl singer", according to Emma, who knows
about things like that.

Lord Northy wrote (he's only interested in David and Katrina's "juicy
bits" so I can say what I like about him):

>the best trax are, in my humble opinion of course, IIWNTC and TBWTAS

Trax?  IIWNTC and TBWTAS?  Is this English?  You know Roly Birkin QC,
the unintelligible drunken posh old soak on "The Fast Show".  That's
Northy.

>Didn't the DJ look like Fatboy Slim?

You what????  In much the same way that Stuart Murdoch looks like
Humphrey Cushion on "Hickory House".  It's a sad reflection of our times
that someone who, in the past, has had a passionate anti-drugs stance
should obviously be currently caning it like there's no tomorrow.

>gotta go

Don't let us keep you.

Funkyseb wrote:

>Fairly good review of london gig in NME,

More drugs, obviously.  Seb, in what way was it "good"?  "The Spirit of
Sarah Records went stadium"?  Sneering at "sweet" mugs?  "Giving back as
little as they can"?  Where I come from, that's fighting talk.

Oh and Stuart, thanks for all the mentions, but I'm afraid I'm spoken
for.

Love,
Tag xxx