Sinister: watch your tongues

mjh18 at xxx.uk mjh18 at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 16 16:58:37 BST 1998

Good grief. I thought opinions like this went out with the eighties?

> there seems to be quite a bit of talk about the band's chart positions and
> the usual types of comment toward a brilliant underground band, such as
> "they should be the biggest band in the world" and "it would be criminal if
> they aren't stars after this album."
>
> if you said or thought either, you are either a liar or a fool.  can you
> imagine never again seeing b&s in an intimate setting?  would you like to
> show up to one of those arena shows and have a bunch of fucking
> rookie third eye blind (or the u.k. equivilent) fans standing next to you.

Translation:
I preferred their earlier stuff. I liked them before they were famous. Everybody
look at me, i am BETTER THAN YOU and need to shout it constantly to reassure mys
elf against the continuing knowledge of my own inadequacy.

> know tons of people who would never go see b&s in a venue larger than
> 1,500.  they don't want to share their bands with others, they don't want
> to think they have the same musical tastes as the average music
> consumer,

Translation:
Rather than find something to like about myself, i prefer to find things to
disike in everybody else.  I sneer at whatever is possible, and thus miss out on
90% of the Good Things In Life. I probably think the Beatles are overrated too,
and if i could just find some nice net curtains i would become a full-on GOTH.

> and they live for being insider trendies who are one step
> ahead of the masses.

Mr Pot. Meet Mr Kettle.

> same goes for most of the people on this list.  don't wish for too much
> success for b&s lest you have to let your 11-year-old sister borrow your
> new CD.  would you still be a fan after that brutal experience?

Translation:
The two things i fear most are young people and women.

Sorry to be harsh kids, but FOR HEAVENS SAKE, if the trials of Britpop achieved
nothing else, surely they allowed us to leave this kind of nonsense behind? I
think B&S are GRATE, i spend HOURS berating other people and forcing them to
listen to it because i happen to  LIKE other people and want to introduce them
to good things.  If lots of people like the same things as me i think of that as
a GOOD thing.  If a band i like does well, that means they get to be ON THE
RADIO more often, get to appear in MAGAZINES more often, get to be ON THE TELLY
more often, and get to keep on making records.

Cuh! And GOODNESS ME!

Cheers,

Mark