Sinister: watch your tongues

Adrian Evans aevans at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 17 09:38:26 BST 1998

Glenn People (The name holds a certain irony) wrote :

>there seems to be quite a bit of talk about the band's chart positions and
>the usual types of comment toward a brilliant underground band, such as
>"they should be the biggest band in the world" and "it would be criminal if
>they aren't stars after this album."
>if you said or thought either, you are either a liar or a fool.

I guess that makes me and many other liars and fools...thankyou :(

>can you imagine never again seeing b&s in an intimate setting?  would you like to
>show up to one of those arena shows and have a bunch of fucking
>rookie third eye blind (or the u.k. equivilent) fans standing next to you.

Ah...that would be the Empire then.

>i know tons of people who would never go see b&s in a venue larger than
>1,500.

Ah...that would be the Empire then.

Ooops 2,000+ liars and fools there.

>they don't want to share their bands with others, they don't want
>to think they have the same musical tastes as the average music
>consumer, and they live for being insider trendies who are one step
>ahead of the masses.  in all honesty, i can't say i'm that much different
>from them (though i would brave the fair-weather fans and go to an
>arena show if need be).

That's the biggest load of self-important twaddle I've heard in my life.  I didn't believe people like you really existed until now.

And what's your typical fair-weather B&S fan like then ? I don't follow this.  Maybe it's someone who doesn't own an original copy of Tigermilk.

>same goes for most of the people on this list.

*Glenn People......He Speaks for the People* ;)
Sorry not a personal stab, you're entitled to your opinion.

>don't wish for too much success for b&s lest you have to let your 11-year-old >sister borrow your new CD.  would you still be a fan after that brutal experience? >or would you revert to the classic i-was-here-before-you comment, "well, it's not
>as good as their old stuff"?

I wish B&S all the success the choose to grab...and if they chose to sell out and they went a bit crabby I might well switch my loyalties, but I'm sure I'd still buy their music.
The bigger they get, the more likely they are to visit a smaller venue near you, rather than doing a few shows a year concentrated on major cities.

And if my 11 year old sister wanted to listen to any of my cd's she's more than welcome, only my 11 year old sister is a 28 year old brother who fucking hates my taste in music :)

Tim Groves wrote :

>"play for your heart not for the chart"
>I just don't want to see them on top of the pops

Don't watch it then :)

Tag wrote :

>>Fairly good review of london gig in NME,

>More drugs, obviously.  Seb, in what way was it "good"?  "The Spirit of
>Sarah Records went stadium"?  Sneering at "sweet" mugs?  "Giving back as
>little as they can"?  Where I come from, that's fighting talk.

A little unfair perhaps Robert ?  Did you ever expect them exalt B&S as the new Gods in popular music ?  Just cos the review wasn't overly kind, doesn't mean there wasn't an element of truth about it.

God, you've all gone and got me off to a bad start to the day.

Best do some work.
Adrian.