Sinister: Someday soon I will laugh right in the face of the poison moon

Corpora Arenacea lonelyhighway at xxx.com
Thu Sep 17 16:27:38 BST 1998

Speaking of homies:
	It's damn dangerous to listen to Belle and Sebastian in the ghetto. I
was dropping off my date from last night at her building in DC and we
decided to share a romantic cuddle + smoke on the hood of my car and I'd
had "The Boy with the Arab Strap" in the CD player which I left playing
with the windows down, which was good and perfect for a little while
until I realized that I was in fact in the middle of the ghetto
listening to the whitest music imaginable, getting stared at like a
Martian in pedal-pushers. I half expected some seven-foot-tall fellow to
stride up and say "Do you mind if we dance witcho dates?"  It was at
that point that I thought it perhaps wiser to pop in Canibus or Lauryn
Hill but didn't want to really wreck the mood so I settled for K-Ci and
JoJo (not really, but I did turn it way down).
	I must apologize to David K for flying off the handle about the
indie-solidarity comments; my oversight was not realizing that Woolies
demanded the super-distributor discount SO THEY COULD PUT INDIE STORES
IN THE GRAVE FOR GOOD I'd like to think. Not that they're really
actually selling the same merchandise, I mean, indie and big chain
stores have somewhat overlapping but usually quite different target
markets (i.e. bedsit obsessives/casual listeners). Indie record stores,
I think, definitely have it a lot easier than, say, independent clothing
stores or the like which are selling to pretty much the same people who
buy their clothes at Big K.
	I don't think there's really any need to worry about Belle and
Sebastian getting too famous, their music isn't really garish or
danceable or radio-ready enough to make any kind of real mainstream
impact, I don't think..... and I pray to someday swallow those words. We
should all hope for a cooler world and want to share, not hoard,
something this priceless.... I sometimes feel that people who want a
band they love to "stay indie" or stay un-famous or something are only
into the music because it makes them feel cooler than their fellow
human.... I've met too many of them, and they're the ones who really
cheapen the experience for me.