Sinister: I won't be there when you cross the road

Hopkins, Tim t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 17 16:50:53 BST 1998

A new Mark wrote:

	>Every time I throw on IYFS I feel like I'm listening to an old Sarah Records
compilation

You *throw* on IYFS? I normally just pish...

All rise for Keith Watson...

	>My main problem with this sort of thing is
	>that people do the same as they tend to do with politics and turn every
	>situation into an us versus them situation, casting one side as
	>holier-than-thou and another side as the evil empire - like Darth Vader or
	>Fenella the Witch or something.

Yeah...Darth Vader and the Green Cross Man (low rent UK quasi-superhero and jumpsuit-wearing
good guy whose job was to get THE KIDS to cross the road safely) were, after all, the same guy.
Go figure...

Who is Fenella the Witch?

	>It doesn't really help. It seems to me
	>pointless arguing the pros and cons, and no I don't accept that everyone
	>who works for a major record company is evil. Not one bit. I don't believe
	>in people actually being evil at all come to that, perhaps misguided is a
	>better word.

Lee 'Scratch' Perry swore blind that he saw Chris Blackwell (former Island Records head honcho
and heir to a pickle fortune) drink the blood of a freshly killed chicken. He wrote a song about
it, called (funnily enough) 'Blackwell Is A Vampire'. Chris Blackwell pays proper royalties to
the artists he produced/released, while 'Scratch', it is rumoured, does/did no such thing.
Who is the vampire?

	>by the way, I've got a cracking photo of
	>you pissed up in Glasgow. Looks like that'll have to go on the photos page]

Oh gawd. Perhaps I should learn to shut my mouth? At least I wasn't the one who was so wasted he
kept insisting that a disposable camera was a mobile phone... And at least you didn't have your
'phone' with you in Leeds. Did you?

> Mark wrote :
> > Good grief. I thought opinions like this went out with the eighties?

Me too. One of the great things about pop music as a medium of mass production and mass
consumption is that it remains open to all (though sometimes you need to be prepared to put work
in to find it). Anything or anyone which says that the masses shouldn't get into a particular
group misses a big part of the point of pop anyway, I'd have thought. Snobbery and elitism have
no place in my pop paradigm.
It's up to Belle and Sebastian to decide what they want to do, and to make sure, if they end up
playing huge arenas, that they don't go all crap. Unless they want to.

Glenn 'Sunday' People wrote:

	>if you said or thought either, you are either a liar or a fool.

Cool! I like being a liar and a fool! Although I have to admit, I tend to prefer terms like
'self-contradictory' and 'young and foolish', but hey! we're all friends here. Aren't we?
I must also admit that I try my hardest to like music for its own sake and not for some petty
game of one-upmanship. I'm delighted when I like the same bands as 11-year olds. It seems to me
that 11-year-olds know a whole lot about pop music that older folks have forgotten.
I'd rather stand next to an excited 'rookie' than some sweaty old muso who knew all the words.
Like me.

Or perhaps you, Glenn.

I was once a 'rookie' fan. Were you?  It was a very important part of my growing up (which,
admittedly, kind of failed...) I've tried to remember what it was like. I think that that memory
is an important part of what pop means to me.
All of which is a hopeless romanticisation, but that's probably pop too, come to think of it.

First I lose my pants, now I can't use my pop E!X!C!L!A!M!A!T!I!O!N! marks, cos if I do Honey's
nasty machine will make me look silly, or perhaps downright tasteless. What will I lose next?

I'll lose you all:-(

Laters,

Tim