Sinister: Kings of Convenience in metal shocka!

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Fri Sep 18 09:29:18 BST 1998

The NME has a little section in the middle of this week's Korn interview
(urgh!) which provides "A Belle And Thebathtian Fan's Guide To New
Metal". Lucky us, eh?

For what it's worth, I used to be much more a fan of heavy stuff in my
youth - I used to buy everything Silverfish put out, sang along to
Extreme Noise Terror, and whooped with delight whenever I noticed that
Fudge Tunnel were supporting my favourite fraggle band of the week. But
something tells me that we're not really missing out this time
around...do correct me if I'm wrong, as it'd be quite nice not to see
the word "rock" as a profanity - and what an opportunity to confess your
more disturbing metal leanings...

Those of you who missed out on last night's superb show by the Kings of
Convenience (denizens of Mr Love Pants poetry emporium may have already
been fortunate enough to sample them), erm, missed out in a big way.
Having stormed the Manchester music thing, their triumphal return was
breathtaking, managing to sound like a down at heel Stereolab playing
musical chess with Nick Drake (in the best possible way, of course).
Catch them if you can, popkids - we might just have something special on
our hands...

The first band that B&S ever reminded me of was the Beautiful South. Can
you guess which song?

Mark xxxxx