Sinister: Everything under the sun

Neil Dewhurst NeilD at xxx.uk
Fri Sep 18 09:55:54 BST 1998

Sometimes starting is the hardest thing...

Anyway, a week and a half since The Shepherd's Bush soiree (a big hand
to Mr Kevan Cooke please everyone for being my benefactor), and now I'm
back at work sifting through the opinions of countless unknown (to me)
people.  Here, in no particular order, are some bon mots from me on some
of the subjects.

1.	The gig was fine, just fine.  Anyone moaning about waiting needs
to learn a little patience.  If you're in London, you can practice by
trying to get anywhere on the Northern Line.
2.	The Molartoaster Guide is a lovely, lovely, dream of a song -
the sort of drifting track that can only ever be put at the end of an
album (OX4 by Ride, This river never will run dry by Moose, and Sleepy
song by the Tindersticks close albums in a similarly drawn out way.)
3.	Manchester would be good, although I feel that not only the
pigeons in Piccadilly Gardens deserve to do.  There are a lot of people
hanging around there who frankly the world could manage without.  Also
it would give me time to pop into the studenty bizareness that is
Affleck's Palace on my way to Vinyl Exchange, which brings me to point 4
4.	Indie shops or chain stores? Indie stores are sometimes superb
(Vinyl Exchange) or terrible (most others).  My favourite of all time
was a place called Revolution records in Windsor.  The smallest shop
I've ever been in, it featured a host of (to me at the time) unknown
treasures.  The advantage of chains is that they sometimes are more
likely to stock what you're after.  They also exist so your parents can
buy you CDs for christmas without being too intimidated by scary record
shop people who've listened to absolutely every single piece of music
every recorded anywhere by anyone in any language.
5.	I guess that's it.  My boss is a vulture, hovering over me,
asking me if I've done this or that, or whatever.  Anyone got any advice
on how I can stay sane, supercede him, or exact revenge for the fact
that he does absolutely nothing at all for the whole working day?
(except try to design a 3D company for our Webshite)
6.	There are only 5 points