Sinister: Tonight

Brier Random brier at xxx.com
Sat Sep 19 06:32:54 BST 1998

In the silence of sleeping Brits, Brier Random had the gall to write:

Kinda peaceful, isn't it??  Just us Americans on the list, no UK'ers still up this late... we can converse at will, without having to translate their English into a language we can understand.  But then they wake up in the morning and hafta wade through our drunken americana from the night before.  But we have to do the same thing for their night-time ramblings, only we're hit with it when we get home from work.  Aaahh, time zones.  I wish we were all together, that this could be real time, that y'all across the ocean could know that we're all one; we Americans are no different at all from you (save for less affinity for vinegar with our fried potatoes).  I lived in Oxford for six (sick) months and almost became one of you.  I miss being British, though I never was.  But in my St. Clements flat I first discovered Housemartins and the Beautiful South (through a Camden bootleg), and tea has never tasted the same since I got deported (a story within a story there; some other time you voyeurs); and the point is that though there is an ocean between us, the people aren't that different.  Cheers to whoever posted (I've erased it, damn) that he gained a different version of yanks thru this list.  And I don't want to get all misty & new-agey about how this music has brought us together across the miles, so I won't.  F**k that anyway.  But togetherness is cool.

-Pish Spice