Sinister: A Summer Working

rap101 rap101 at xxx.uk
Sat Sep 19 14:05:43 BST 1998

A Summer Wasting is one of those songs that I wish did utterly
describe my situation - it should have done if there was any justice -
but far from the time passing easily this summer I was working full
time in a stuffy library in Brighton. "7 weeks of Danielle Steel / 7
weeks of people arguing about fines / 7 weeks of standing up all day."

Come to think of it, would b&s on the radio sandwiched between slices
of the musical equivalent of additive-ridden white bread actually
leach out the quality, highlighting the (very occasional) annoying
bits and losing all the flavour? Hm.

I've been thinking that it's actually a really natural thing for
people to want to keep their favourite bands to themselves (despite
what I said yesterday). It's like a private joke (no offence b&s), an
'our song' writ large, and a sort of calling card. At the moment, if
you meet someone who likes B&S (or other non-huge band) you have a
certain expectation of the type of person they are, and at the moment
it would probably be quite accurate. B&S stand for certain things (I
think) such as sincerity and romance and sensitivity and simplicity
and difference and being interested in life and people, so sharing a
taste for them is like a shorthand for sharing other things. The more
people like them, the harder it becomes to guarantee this.

Or am I just talking utter bollocks?

Archel x

Rachel Playforth
rap101 at york.ac.uk