Sinister: books and films and sweets

Honey honey at xxx.net
Sun Sep 20 22:57:17 BST 1998

> on a side note... what are some of the listee's movies of choice?

Noooo, please don't hate me, but could you all slow down a bit on
these lists please?  I've had a few comments now from people and it's
time to have a little mumsy word even though I don't like doing it so
much.  We've had lists of these things relatively recently, including
several film threads that ran for a long time, and if they're just
lists, they have a tendency to just drown the mailing list and, well,
take away that special something that this list's always had.  The
something that is due to YOU lot putting your *feelings* and
yourselves into your posts.  Lists of things are fine in some
contexts and spark things off, I guess, but I really feel that on a
list with limited, borrowed, part-time resources like this, we need
posts that take considered thought, and a little bit of your lives.
Especially in the context of a rapidly expanding mailing list with a
lot of (nice) history.

I guess I'm asking you all to do your bit to keep this list alive now
please - its limited resources are threatened if there's a deluge of
multiple short, knee-jerk mails.  There's an old rule that I take
very seriously here about thinking before you post, and considering
whether the 680 (yes!) people who will receive your mail will want to
know.  Quality not quantity will keep this list special and ensure
its survival.  I'm sorry to bang on about this, especially to old and
faithful readers, but it takes everyone to pull their weight.

Besides, you can always check the archives for stuff you'd like to
see first!  There's bags and bags of references to other bands people
like, and films people have watched, and books people have read, and
sweets people have sucked.  With comments too, and some talk of what
they mean to them (Sandra Volaric loves gummy bears, for instance,
and Michele's cats loves Jaffa Cakes).  Please do go and look first.
Really do, it can be fun.

Archives this month:

http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/hypermail/current/

Archives all months:

http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/hypermail/

Search engine for archives:

http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/cgi-bin/sinister-search.cgi

I've said all this a lot before and you've all rallied round
magnificiently.  I'll just repeat a few things for newcomers:

o  To read the FAQ on the WWW site - PLEASE - the thoughts on
what to post are the result of a good few people's serious thought
and seem to have worked well for 12 months.

o  To realise that, yes this is a hard balance - this list is a
community and functions best when people share a bit of themselves
and their lives with the rest of us.  That it isn't a general music
list, there are plenty of better resourced lists that can do that, or
indeed you can start your own if you want something broader, but that
of course what you listen too may well be of interest to others with
some context.  But that following a long thread which is miles away
from this list's core will rarify the atmosphere, and interest fewer
and fewer people, and, honestly, lower its chances of survival.  It's
a balance and everyone (definitely me) will get it wrong at times,
but trying's what counts.  Do your bit.

o  Don't be lazy, do a little legwork on the WWW before you ask a
question - there's masses of information about the band, releases,
etc etc on the WWW pages linked from the Sinister page.  A question
pushed out to 680 people before you look is likely to excite a few
muted grrrs.

o  Be nice.  If you like fights, go and join another list, there's
plenty where you can vent your spleen.  This list owner won't ever
allow flaming or personal nastiness on this list, it's just a thing
of mine and you'll have to live with it :)

o  If you're shy, don't be put off from posting because of all my
lecturing!  You're really very welcome, and we're all very nice
really :)

And to oldies on the list: please keep the faith as someone we all
fancy says a lot.  You don't have to go lecturing like I do, remember
it's your job to just enjoy the list, play in the sandpit, and lend
that new boy your bucket and spade once in a while and that little
flag that goes on the top of the castle.  He may have wet pants but
he's probably a lot of fun.  He's called Frobisher by the way, and
his mum works in the chippie down the road.

Oh and please before any of you do, don't take this personally or see
any hidden message to anyone in this email!  There are none!  I love
you all to the bottom of your little fluffy booties, really, and I
can't wait to meet your grannie and that uncle of yours with the
funny moustache at Christmas.

Honey xxx