Sinister: Tigermilk to CD-R

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at xxx.com
Tue Sep 22 01:52:40 BST 1998

Comments from Jeepster would be most welcome.  (BTW I'm told by a reliable
source that Jeepster do not actually own the rights to Tigermilk.)

The cat is out of the bag... Pick your cliche.  It's time either to foil
the bootleggers by reissuing the album, or else face up to the fact that
an analog tape is no more difficult to mass-produce than a digital copy.
The only difference is generation loss.  The only other way besides a
reissue that would foil the bootleggers would be to form a non-profit CD-R
tree so that nobody has reason to buy one.  That is copyright infringement
as well, but at least it isn't profiteering.  (I confess I'd be eligible
to be at the top of that tree, but I have no intention of organizing such
an effort.  I would, however, lobby for a reissue.)

I am not happy to hear about a for-profit bootleg, but that's the simple
truth of the current situation.  I raised the possibility a few weeks ago
that someone would press a bootleg.  If it so happens that the bootleg(s)
is (are) of good quality, then it relieves only one of my concerns.

As a composer with a disc out in a few weeks, I am very sensitive to
copyright issues.  The label sent out some promotional copies recently,
and within two days I got word that someone had promised to MP3 the whole
album and upload it to servers...

To clarify one of my earlier comments:  It is possible that the perceived
value of _Tigermilk_ to the band, management, and label(s) is greater as a
semi-legendary "lost record" with enough demand to be bootlegged, than as
a reissued CD.  I don't know this.  I don't even particularly think it's
true.  But it is possible, and it is a strategy that might be effective.

--Mark

__ <http://www.xnet.com/~mkolmar/BurningRome> <MPEG 3 & RealAudio tracks>
   October 19th: SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14