Sinister: PLEASE READ: evil babysitters

Honey honey at xxx.net
Tue Sep 22 02:58:20 BST 1998

Actually there won't be one.  This just to say that your list manager
will be away for some of this week and next, and expects you all to
be good bunnies, not make rude signs to the neighbours, and not feed
your little sister to the dog.  And keep the house tidy.  I'll
probably pop in remotely to do any maintenance I can, and because it
will cost me I will be less patient... grrr.

And thanks for reading my last long rather serious mail (if you did)
and if you didn't then go and do so now - it's become mandatory as a
lot of people are ignoring it.  It's at:

http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/hypermail/current/0823.html

- there, that's nice and easy for you.  I'm going to start getting
tough as the survival of this list depends on it, so a few people
will be hearing from me shortly if they don't show some public spirit
and do what's needed to keep this list alive.  I'm even prepared to
make some of you the ultimate sacrifice.  The list rules aren't
optional and I will do what's needed to make sure this remains a good
place for people to be, based on what people tell me they want.

Remember discussions about what mails people should be sending to
mailing lists are best done privately with the list manager rather
than on the list or we all disappear up our own back passages.
Messy.  So please, although it's tempting, don't mail the list and
start a discussion about what's appropriate on the list.  It's
terribly self-referential and doesn't make for an enjoyable list.
The rules of behaviour are very clear and no-one's got any excuse not
to read them - and everyone can see people who aren't.  None of you
should be telling the list how to behave - that's my job and I know
how to do it by now.  Your job is to enjoy yourself and post things
of value for the rest of us.

Please don't post multiple posts with little content.  Bundle up your
thoughts for the day into one mail.  I've said it before, in almost
all circumstances, if anyone's posting more than two mails a day,
you're getting something wrong, and everyone can see.  Think before
you post.

CD-Rs - it's not as if this hasn't been hashed out a million times on
the list before - we don't want the same old debate again please.  If
you have something new to say, you'd better have checked the archives
first.  Jeepster's position is clear, they turn a blind eye to taped
Tigermilks, and don't want to have to take action against digital
copies, so don't want to know about it on the list.  The delay in
reissuing Tigermilk was the band's decision as far as I know, not
Jeepster's - see the online chat - so they have to accept the
consequences.  Tigermilk will be reissued next year.  You may
disagree with Jeepster's position but this discussion's a blind alley
- they choose to draw a line between analogue and digital copies.
No-one's *really* saying that someone who does a copy for a friend
and doesn't earn cash doing it is a hardened criminal - this list is
independent, so if you want to tell everyone you're pressing 100
copies a day and making 15 quid a copy you *can* but don't be
surprised when Jeepster come your way.

The possibility of mass-produced bootlegs was raised countless times
9 months ago - it was clear it was going to happen then and we talked
to the band about it in the online chat.  They didn't care so much -
I think they do now just because disreputable people are making solid
cash - it's not nice to see your creation turned into a hard earner
to unscrupulous gits.  Professional bootleggers are making money out
of music they care nothing about right now - shame on you if there's
anyone on the list who helped them do it, but it's really not a
surprise to anyone.  And if you're doing your own copies, just do it
privately ok?

Again, let's not discuss this all over again unless you have
something startling and new to say.  And let's not discuss discussing
it.

End of rant.

Oh, whoever set up this mailing list as a recipient of the
Technosphere online game stuff - a minority of people found the first
mail mildly diverting, but it's not funny after 10.  I'm blocking
these mails to the list now after a lot of requests, but could you
take the list off it now please?  I don't want to be still stopping
these mails in a year's time.  And stop chewing that gum when I'm
talking to you.

And sorry to anyone who's waiting for email from me, as always, it's
not forgotten, but tucked into my bodice for later.  I'm dead busy
but I promise not to forget anyone who's asked for anything, if
you'll be patient.  Some of you have sent me really nice emails too,
with some fine suggestions for the list.  Reid - I'm so sorry not to
put those TWITBUS chords up on the WWW page, I'll try and do it
before I leave.

And it's Oon's birthday today.

So, you lot, be good.  It's quite late isn't it?
Grr :)
Honey xxx