Sinister: Frequently Asked Questions

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Tue Sep 22 12:53:39 BST 1998

I'm currently knocking up an FAQ list that we're hopefully planning on
mailing to the list reasonably frequently so's that people can read them
before firing common questions on to the list. There are numerous problems
that need overcome sensibly when dealing with this...

We do welcome new people, it's cool seeing loads of people having joined up
in the last few weeks, naturally with this we've got a load of questions
posted that have been gone through before on the list. One of the problems
here is that people use computer speak instead of normal speak.

FAQ stands for "Frequently asked questions". This may seem obvious to some,
but basically, it isn't. I'm a computer science graduate and have been
doing internet stuff since 1990, and it took me till about 1994 to work out
what FAQ meant.

The other problem is that people don't know how to get to a website to read
the list of frequently asked questions... So to address this we'll mail out
this list every so often. This is a preliminary draft, which is probably
inaccurate in places, but people can take a look and comment on it. Also,
if anyone can think of any other questions that appear frequently, then
mail me and let me know and I'll add them.

Here we go..

Frequently asked questions about B+S. The idea with this is that newcomers
to the list can have a read at the file
and will hopefully prevent the same questions being asked numerous times on
the list. Hope it's of help.

1. What is Tigermilk, where can I get a copy?

Tigermilk is the bands first album and was released around about May 1996.
It was released as part of a Stow College
course whereby Alan Rankine (of the Associates) fronts up the cash to
record a single every year, although with
Belle and Sebastian they decided that there was enough material for an
album, hence Tigermilk. There were only 1000
copies pressed and so the record is worth a lot of money now. The band have
always mantained that Tigermilk will
be re-released at some point, and this will definitely be the case,
currently it's looking like some time in 1999 is
likely.

2. Who is the guest singer on Lazy Line Painter Jane?

The female singer on Lazy Line Painter Jane is Monica Queen, formerly of
countryish Glasgow band Thrum. Thrum
released a record a few years ago, about 1994 I think. I can't remember
what it's called though, someone else
will have to fill me in on that one. Last I heard she was recording with
her own band which is called "Monica", or at
least that's what it was called in February 1997.

3. What is "Elvis" in A Century of Elvis.

No-one knows bar the author really, but it's probably a cat, perhaps a
tortoise, maybe actually Elvis, maybe it's
Tortelvis from Dread Zeppelin who knows.

4. Who is in the band...

Stuart Murdoch - singing guitar
Isobel Campbell - singing, cello, various
Sarah Martin - violin, weird things
Stevie Jackson - Guitar
Stuart David - Bass
Mick Cooke - Trumpet, various
Chris Geddes - keyboards
Richard Colburn - Drums

Neil Robertson has been known to play bass on Stuart David's "Spaceboy
Dream", which brings me on to...

5. What other bands have members of Belle and Sebastian involved in?

There's quite a number of things here. I'm sure it's not complete either,
it's just what I can remember off hand.

Chris Geddes :
currently V-Twin and Golden Rodeo (think that's what they're called).
Has played on Arab Strap records.

Mick Cooke :
Used to play with Hardbody, who released two singles on Epic (On your own,
Hazel's hob). Now plays with the Karelia
and the Amphetameanies. Has also played on releases by Mojave 3,
Ex-Cathedra. Probably others too.

Stuart Murdoch :
Played on releases by Polarbear and Arab Strap.

Richard Colburn :
Has played with Polarbear/Snowpatrol

Isobel Campbell :
Has played on Arab Strap records.

Stuart David :
Stuart David has a side project called "Looper". There has been one single
released on Sub-pop singles club called
"Impossible things" and there is an album planned.

6. What records have been released?

Tigermilk (LP) May 1996
If you're feeling sinister (LP) November 1996
Dog on Wheels (EP) April 1997
Lazy Line Painter Jane (EP) June 1997
3,6,9 Seconds of Light (EP) October 1997
The Boy with the Arab Strap (LP) September 1998

7. What's that song at the end of the 3,6,9 seconds of light EP called.

It's called "Songs for Children".

8. What about all these unreleased songs that people keep belting on about
in order to make themselves look smart?

Pocketbook Angel
London has let me down
Hurley's having dreams

  These are little demos of old songs that will as far as we know, never
ever be released as Belle and Sebastian.

Loneliness of the middle distance runner
Modern Rock song
Rhoda

  People around the place have tapes of various different versions of
these, they've been kicking around for a while
  and they may well be released reasonably soon.

I Know where the summer goes
The Gate

  These two will probably be a part of the next single

9. What sessions have they done on the radio?

  The first session was around about September 1996 here Mark Lamarr sat in
for Mark and Lard at night... They played

Judy and the dream of horses
Like Dylan in the movies
The State that I am in
The stars of track and field

  The second was about February 1997 on Mark + Lard's program again and
they played :

I could be dreaming
Seeing other people (slow version)
We rule the school
Modern Rock song

  The third was on Steve Lamacq's evening session and they played :

Lazy Line Painter Jane
Sleep the clock around
Slow Grafitti
Seymour Stein

  They did one of Stevie Jackson's tracks "Wrong Love" one night when the
evening session was live from Glasgow.

  The fourth less well known session was on Peter Easton's Radio Scotland
music program where he played :

The Lonliness of the middle distance runner
Slow Grafitti
Modern Rock song.