Sinister: Me...

Hopkins, Tim t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 23 09:53:51 BST 1998

Well, you probably won't believe it but I had a Belle and Sebastian dream at last. I rarely
remember my dreams at all, so I thought I'd share the few shards of this one with you all.

We (that's the whole list) were on a bus package holiday, going from town to town, watching
Belle and Sebastian play. I know it would take a fleet of coaches to accommodate all of us, but
this was a dream, OK? I didn't really identify any individuals, but everybody was having a great
time and drinking squabbling and throwing up, and stuff. I remember the band playing a short
synthesised song, in which Stuart sounded like Phil Oakey out of the Human League, round about
the time of 'A Crow And A Baby'. It was...unusual.

Anyway, a gig ended, and I was on my own, outside the venue. Appropriately enough, I had missed
the bus. It was Glasgow, and I suddenly realised the tour was over. I was skint and it was the
middle of the night. Keith Watson walked up with some young lady clinging to his arm and said,
'Hi Tim, we're off to a club...' and left. The bastard.

And that was about it really.

It was kind of appropriate, because this is my signing-off message.
A year (more or less) of sinister has been fabulous, but I am off to seek my real-life
misfortune elsewhere, and I have no idea when I'll be back in the land of e-mail again. Can I
take this opportunity to say that some, indeed most, of you have been lovely, and that there
haven't been many days this year when this list has failed to interest or provoke me. This list
is a mighty and special thing, but it is also a bit fragile. Take care of it.

The best way to take care is to try to make sure that *every time* you post, you put a bit of
wit, or a bit of heart into your message. Then everything will be just dandy.

I still can't think of a better place to give and receive friendly abuse, to get snarled up in
pedantic arguments about pop ethics, to write to 600 strangers about your dreams, or to talk
about the best pop group in the world. Whoever that might be today.

Hopefully I'll see you again at some point in the not-too-distant future. If any of you are
desperate to get in touch with me in the mean time, then you're sicker than I thought.

Honey, thanks for having me. You're a P!O!P! genius. ;-)

Cheerio one and all

Tim