Sinister: saint etienne

will grey tridophelom at xxx.com
Thu Sep 24 14:18:11 BST 1998

>i have been told that if you like belle & sebastian you may like this
band
>"saint etienne."  haven't heard them but... if anyone who has heard
them
>both would like to say something to verify or attack that suggestion,
i'd
>be happy to hear it. it doesn't even have to be in a witty or eloquent
>manner.

my unwitty, uneloquent 2 cents:
st. etienne are quite pleasant synth-pop type stuff...  very
sophisticated in a sugary sort of way...  in my opinion, they have
little to do with belle and sebastian, but when i first heard them, i
thought they sounded like a synthier (see what i mean with the
"uneloquent" ---  which, come to think of it, is an even less eloquent
construction) version of prefab sprout.   i have been surprised not to
hear any references to prefab sprout in these parts.  in my opinion they
are the greatest pop band of all time and not entirely unlike belle and
sebastian...  please berate me if you feel the need...
by the way...  does anyone know what supper club's policy is regarding
photo-taking?  i just got a nifty old zoom lens and would feel sad if a)
i didn't use it to take photos at the show or b) got kicked out of the
show for using it.   anyone know much about old zoom lenses?  when i use
my camera's light meter, i get very overexposed pictures with it...
easily corrected, but distressing nonetheless...
ok, i'm done...  everyone have a pleasant thursday....