No subject

James thunderw at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 24 19:58:52 BST 1998

hello list,

I'm going to tell you all about the Manics and Mogwai gig in Stoke
because...well just because I want to really, but because some of you might
be interested as well, and it's all very amusing. So fast-forward if you
couldn't care less.

I've never seen a performance like it before in my life - anyone who's seen
Mogwai live before knows how incredible they can be. But Mogwai playing to
a Manics
crowd? - nooooo, I thought, this cannot happen - for all their walls of
white-noise, they're gentle lads at heart - the eyelinered-ones will tear
them limb from limb, (what, no lyrics? but how can they be POLITICAL and
DANGEROUS with no lyrics? - burn the witches!). Oh, how wrong I was - never
in all my years have I seen hecklers dealt with in such an admirable way!
One tune to go - numerous witty ejaculatiuons from the crowd, ("MANICS!",
"GERROFF", "BOO!") - Dominic gives them the two fingers for the third time
-Stuart takes the mic: "This one's for all you cunts out there who......(it
goes incomprehensible here but you get the picture)" Then it's straight
into the most blinding version of "Like Herod" you are EVER likely to hear.
The quiet bit is drawn out for a simply unbearable amount of time for those
in the know, who, like the band, stand grinning from ear to ear, in joyful
anticipation of what is about to happen. And then.....BANG - like an
electrical storm it kicks in, and the feather boas leap three feet into the
air before their collective ears begin to bleed in a most satisfactory
manner. I take such enourmous pleasure from seeing the two girls in front
of me with their fingers in their ears, that I begin to question my human
decency, but then I think sod it, and cackle away gleefully. Call it indie
snobbery if you like, but I was there and I know which side the intolerance
was coming from. And the irony is that what Mogwai stand for in music now,
is exactly what the Manics stood for in 1991. Never have I seen a band
treated so rudely, but like I said, never have I seen a crowd chastised so
severely for doing so.

The Manics were shit by the way. And I speak as a long-time fan, who was
deeply saddened at the fact, but felt I got my money's worth anyway, thanks
to Mogwai.

And who was the boy in the blue Belle and Sebastian T-shirt? Are you on the
list?

nuff from me

love from
Molly