Sinister: saint etienne

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at xxx.com
Thu Sep 24 22:55:38 BST 1998

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, N Leggatt wrote:

> i have been told that if you like belle & sebastian you may like this band
> "saint etienne."

I've seen Belle and Sebastian mentioned several times on the Saint Etienne
list, and very likely the other way around as well.  Saint Etienne don't
have a strong literary side, but I don't see why a fan of one wouldn't
like the other.

I once described Saint Etienne's album _So Tough_ as post-modern
pre-Beatles pop.  Their other records combine retro pop and numerous
modern twists in various ways.  I'd personally suggest _So Tough_ as an
album.  Their singles collection, _Too Young to Die_, doesn't have the
coherence of their albums (except for the 1st, _Foxbase Alpha_, which is a
bit of a hodgepodge). But it does collect a lot of their better songs in
their single versions.

--Mark

__ <http://www.xnet.com/~mkolmar/BurningRome> <MPEG 3 & RealAudio tracks>
   October 19th: SENSELESS CD on Mindfield Records MindCD03 Cathartium 14