Sinister: Lack of black favorite bands

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Thu Sep 24 23:42:56 BST 1998

Hello,
N Leggatt wrote:
> smiths albums so back off.  the lack of black folks on the music list is
> startling; good point.  can't say i care for the music most american
> blacks are making today.

	I think you've hit the nail on the head, just about. There just aren't
many people in bands from the UK who are of African descent. At least
not in all the ones I happen to like. And seeing as how a majority of
the bands I like are from the UK... well there you have it. I think that
would explain it for a number of people, at least. It's also funny how
no one ever mentions any other ethnic groups when they say that there's
a lack of non-caucasians in people's fave lists.

> but fats waller and louis armstrong and their
> ilk - and the unique jimi hendrix - were geniuses. 99.9% of rap, however,
> bugs the hell out of me.  i bet most b/s fans feel the same way, our
> favorite band being sprightly and twee and soft-spoken.

	Hm...well no, I'd have to say that I like quite a lot of rap, just
nothing that has come out in the past few years, whereas I think 99.9%
of Jimi Hendrix' songs...oh hell, 100%, bug the hell out of me. You
could also easily say the say the same thing about that, seeing as how
soloing for an entire song isn't exactly twee either. People who like
B&S seem to actually like a rather wide variety of bands, judging from
the people I've talked to. It's just some odd reason that the people who
responded to the band lists thing liked, for the most part, a lot of the
same bands.
	And while we're on the subject, I noted that there was no bossanova on
anyone's lists. How can it be so! I have an LP sent to me by a lovely
Brazilian in which Joao Gilberto and some other Brazillians play some
nice songs, and the guitar parts in "Ease Your Feet into the Sea" remind
me of the entire LP. Of course, I highly doubt that B&S got a Brazillian
LP and ripped off some things from it. Those who receive my tape tree
tape should find on it a song from that LP, as well as other bossanova
hits, as well as your everyday anorak-wearing bands. And no, Brad, no
Smiths ;)

 /"\_/"\_/"\   Mick McMick - bp224995 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu - ICQ#5056758
 \         /   Sandcastle Records - (same e-mail for now)