Sinister: Lack of black favorite bands

Tara Widmer TWidmer at xxx.com
Fri Sep 25 00:36:28 BST 1998

<<lack of black folks on the music list is startling; good point. can't say
i care for the music most american blacks are making today.>>

I wasn't going to comment on this because, hmm well didn't care to, really!
but the nitpicker in me did, so... <deep breath>
As I recall Genevieve (who, it would seem, has ANGEL WINGS!!) mentioned some
pretty slinky soul-type bands in her wee list...and some brave soul fessed
up to liking Mariah Carey also (c'mon now don't try to backpeddle and say it
was only sarcasm!!) Anyway, Mariah Carey is black... or at least as black as
I am, which admittedly is only a little but...it counts... ok so her music
artistry may be questionable...but LAURYN HILL! there's some "good American
black" music, she is not only talented and soulful but beautiful. (...here's
where I wait for the blacklash, "no you silly moo, Lauryn Hill is
pish/p!o!o!/whatever the hip slag word of the day is")
Regardless, I'm sure there *are* tons of Sinisterines who count black
singers/bands among their favorites, but they probably just didn't bother
posting their list.

Someone brought up SAINT ETIENNE... which again gives me the opportunity to
foolishly offer to make mix tapes of them for anyone interested in checking
the hype... contact me privately for details...Any Avenuers here?? Yes
that's me!! the girl who posts about B&S all the time!! Hey there IS a B&S
connection here, according to Oon's article
(http://www.majordomo.net/sinister/oons-article) Bob Etienne wanted
to sign the band to his label.

BRAZILIAN MUSIC
Ah yes, lovely Ivo can probably fill us in on this one... By the way i think
I fancy you a bit Ivo, photo or not! I love Brazilian P!O!P! particularly
really crap bands....Titas, Biquini Cavadao, Barao Vermelho - and then
there's Legiao Urbana....I suppose I've lost any respect Ivo could've had
for me.... oh and Xuxa too.

Off to jam to en vogue. oh yes.

Ta,
tara