Sinister: Black Music

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Fri Sep 25 09:47:44 BST 1998

I think indeed it would be quite an assumption to suggest that most of us
don't like black music. I've been on this list since it started and almost
everyone I've met from it is into some form of black music, be it Soul,
Funk, Hip Hop, Isaac Hayes, Reggae, Ska or Isaac Hayes. I love stuff out of
all of these genres myself. It's what's continually surprised me about the
comments outsiders have made about this list, i.e. that we're all anal
"Cardigan wearers", whereas over the course of the last year, I'd have said
that nothing could've been further from the truth. I'df certainly say that
it's easy to make the assumption if you listen to B+S that all the fans are
going to conform to some bowlcut/anorak stereotype, but it just isn't true.
I think it's an interesting distinction too, which makes for a difference
between Belle and Sebastian and other bands considered in their field. I
for one am glad for the breadth of musical taste that's on the list, and
just because a load of people fired some lists off that contain Nick Drake,
Tindersticks and the Smiths in it, doesn't mean they don't like other stuff
too. I love all these bands to death as well. Indeed I own everything each
of these artists have released. I also think that perhaps it's about time
we had a bit of a report on the tape tree - it'd be nice to see what people
thought of each others tapes, and maybe get an inkling of what people put
on them - perhaps that'll give us a better idea as to the musical scope of
the people on the list.

Thanks,
  Keith.