Sinister: Shoulders back lovely boys

John Johnston JohnJ at xxx.com
Fri Sep 25 10:13:02 BST 1998

I was thinking that people had been a bit hard on St Etienne who have
made some lovely records, when the Incomparable Tara wrote..

>Bob Etienne wanted to sign the band to his label.

Which maybe explained why I had been standing next to him at the B&S gig
at the Borderline way back when. He didn't heckle, he nodded his head
and was generally a glowing advertisement for the cool set in London.

I was think, Peter Miller. If you're falling out of love with Isaac
Hayes,might not the incomparable Melvin Hayes make a good substitute.
I've been watching some glorious It Ain't Half Hot Mum episodes. I
believe a cross-dressing concert party crooner is always a match for
Isaac and his so called soul.

What price Stuart Murdoch - wannabe Cockney?? I was listening to the
much-underated Mary Jo and that lovely bit where he goes "Dunno what she
wants" always sounds a bit gor' blimmey guv, apples n' pears if you ask
me.

I'm off to put the kettle on, anyone fancy a cuppa?
John