Sinister: It's gettin' funky round here!

Funkyseb at xxx.com Funkyseb at xxx.com
Sat Sep 26 02:15:02 BST 1998

Hello moi luvvers,
Barney someone wrote:
<<Subject: Sinister: Judy and her gang of homies>>
Oh yuk. I'm not going to quote any more of this, or comment either. Curry and
Chips, anyone?
Then the normally quite sane Mick Mcmick wrote:
<<There just aren't many people in bands from the UK who are of African
descent.>>
No, but there's loads of people in UK bands of West Indian descent, (which,
Mick, is not in India, before you ask.) Or do they not count?
<urrgh>
sorry kids. I'm just in a bit of a huff. I've had it up to *here* with
patronising casting directors today, then I come home to find you all talking
complete (no offence) rubbishy ignorant bollocks. Anymore of this and I'll
start saying 'this never happened in the old days'. And I'd be right. Heed the
words of H!O!P!K!I!N!S!! (Not the ones about Pinteresque pauses, mind) This
list is like a fairy bower weaved from finest gossemer, lovely and cosy to sit
inside. And if you all start wiggling about in it you'll break it and fall
right on your arses.

Why has no-one else pointed out the fact that this lovely sweaty beast we call
Rrrock n' Rrroll was not:
 1) Handed down by God fully formed,
 2) nor was it created by Sir Clifford of Richard on a slack Saturday
afternoon, after                                               Airwolf while
waiting for the pools results to come in (same as 1. really I suppose)

It is in fact a development of blues an' stuff, which some of you would call
'black music'. And Belle and Sebby, like it or not, would not exist without
good old kick ass rock + soul. Well, maybe they would, but Stevie would be
playing a Lute, or something. And Chris would legally be required to change
his name to Gawain, whilst the girls would play crumhorns, and the Stuarts
would take turns to Morris dance.
Richard, in case you're wondering, would be replaced by a dribbling, one eyed
dwarf called Snuffhammer, who drinks real ale, and re-enacts the black death
every saturday afternoon, on wimbledon common.
On his own.

Observant readers among you will notice my self aggrandising subject line.
Well, it's not, actually I was going to give you all a red hot tip (ouch!).
'It's Getting Funky Round Here' is an knee tremblingly great track that I've
had boogying through my head for a couple of weeks now, and I thought I'd tell
you all to go and find it. Except I can't remember who performed it. So I
can't. It's on a rather tasty compilation called Stax o' soul (classy title),
and the whole thing's pretty fantastic, so if that kind of thing floats your
boat (or as the cool set are saying, 'butters your muffin'-thanks whoever that
was:-) ) go seek and find.
          Actually, I think it should be compulsory listening for hipsters-
anyone who can deny the presence of any element of S!O!U!L! in B&S should have
their head examined. Or possibly kicked in.
byebye
seb
'It's getting funky round here! It's getting funky round here!
It's getting funky....funky round here!'
'It's getting funky round here', by someone or other