Sinister: tape tree update and a bedtime story (!)

Erin Lewis erinlew at xxx.com
Sat Sep 26 02:47:40 BST 1998

Hey kids!
     I am currently in possession of Brad Whiddon's tape, and it reads
like the B&S archives!  I finally got to hear Left Banke, Trembling Blue
Stars, "She Lives by the Castle" by Felt, "Velocity Girl" by Primal
Scream, and just about every other frequently name-dropped band.  It's a
crash course in Bob & Sybil 101.
     Katrina mentioned that the Lucksmiths are opening for Boris &
Natasha in Germany, which made me think of two seemingly unrelated
stories:
     Story #1:  When I was in Australia, and before I met my boyfriend,
I had the biggest crush on Mark Monnone from the Lucksmiths, who lived
only a few blocks away.  He was pudgy and wore spectacles, and I thought
he looked like a squishy old Crispin Glover (not unlike a few
sinisterines).  I baked Mark a vegan chocolate cake, in the hopes that
the way to his heart was through his politically aware stomach.  He
invited me to a concert he was promoting, and I was soooooooo excited
that he wanted *me* to be there.  I showed up looking cute, and after a
few bands played, Mark's side project showed up onstage naked as the day
they were born.  "Thank God for train curfew!" said I, the first and
only time.  Mark tried to convince me a week later that nudity was a
last-minute decision, but I knew otherwise.  He was trying to seduce me,
all right.
     Story #2:  Also in Australia, I met a German exchange student named
Matthias.  I refused to date him, but he lured me into his house with
his clothes dryer (a hot commodity in my neighborhood, and I was longing
to use the Bounce Outdoor Fresh (TM) fabric softener sheets sent in a
care package).  After laundry, Matthias tricked me into dinner and told
me that he had been watching me for the past couple of months, and that
I had "fast-inating ice."  This translates roughly in English to
"fascinating eyes."  After other restaurant customers decided to sing
"Song 2" out loud, Matthias asked, "VOO-hoo?"  He then proceeded to
invade my personal space bubble for roughly an hour before I could free
myself from his claws.  He admitted it:  he was trying to seduce me all
right.
     Mark and Matthias:  I hope you fall in love and live happily ever
after.  You two deserve each other!  Thanks to Barbie & Sven for making
the love affair possible.

Love, Miss Erin