Sinister: Um Bongo Press Report

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Sat Sep 26 10:46:57 BST 1998

All my messages begin:

>####################################################
>This message was not delivered to
>johnb at apr.co.uk
>Sender was informed with a copy of this message
>####################################################

I don't know if it's my fault or not. I'm sure Paul would know, but even as
we speak he's smearing coconut oil on his Captain Mainwaring and settling
down in his hammock with a good book and a delicious tetrabrik of Um Bongo
with a bendy Ren and Stimpy straw.

Back to business. I certainly didn't mean to suggest all the things that it
has been suggested I was suggesting as regards the black music thread. It's
a thorny issue and I should have just shut up. But I didn't, and I apologise
for any offence or consternation I may have caused. The reason I don't like
the expression "black music" is because I once watched a documentary about
Spanish group Greta y los Garbos and they said that their main influence was
black music. At that moment, something in my brain slipped its moorings and
is yet to return to safe harbour, if that is the correct nautical
expression. I certainly didn't wish to accuse anyone of racism, or
non-racism for that matter. Of course, the term "race war" was used as a
joke, like with "class war" before. "Race tiff" would be more appropriate,
but even that's a bit strong. I'm sorry boys and girls.

You know that footballer, Reiziger? He looks like a monkey who's just come
down from the trees. According to someone with a name like a famous car....

McRagtag wrote:

Oh, Peter, you'll be happy to know that I
am a right bleeding ponce and I've seen "Strawberries and chocolate" and
so I got your joke.

Phew! That's a relief. It was a good joke, wasn't it?

Peter