Sinister: It's gettin' funky round here!

N Leggatt leggattn at xxx.edu
Sat Sep 26 12:04:23 BST 1998

>It is in fact a development of blues an' stuff, which some of you would
call 'black music'. And Belle and Sebby, like it or not, would not exist
without good old kick ass rock + soul<

i don't remember anyone suggesting otherwise.  the discussion was about
the lack of black artists in the fave lists which everyone complained
about.  then some people, including me, started complaining about
the state of modern black music in america.  then others started
pointing out that they loved black music and said absence did not in
point of fact exist.  then others started accusing others of being
too politically correct, for reasons i cannot begin to fathom.  since the
poster above puts the term in scare quotes, 'black music' in my book
anyhow is simply shorthand for music by black artists - music created by
black people.  sorry if anyone finds anything racist in that.
i personally find it offensive when all black music of whatever genre is
labelled r&b or (much worse) "urban".
perhaps we should all stick to genre labels.  or not.  whichever.

__

"Go! you may call it madness, folly
You shall not chase my gloom away!
There's such a charm in melancholy