Sinister: the femmes

Jessica Murphy jmurphy at xxx.Edu
Mon Sep 28 02:23:00 BST 1998

Reid says,

"You'd have a tough time finding a
white American between the ages of 18 and 30 who doesn't know the mid
section of "Kiss Off" by heart."

Very true.  It's definitely on my own memory-soundtrack of senior
year in high school.  The Violent Femmes and the Beastie Boys'
"License to Ill" were in constant rotation at parties.

One of the best moments from the whole short-lived series "My So-Called
Life" was Claire Danes' character dancing and singing along with the
Femmes' "Blister in the Sun" in front of her bedroom mirror.

Reid:  "... where Belle & Sebastian are cozied up
with Metallica and Shania Twain."

Ooh, I shudder to think...

jessica m