Sinister: I was looking at the black and white world

N Leggatt leggattn at xxx.edu
Mon Sep 28 08:19:19 BST 1998

...it seemed so exciting.

> It doesn't make any sense.  I
guess we should start putting Neal McCoy, Nat King Cole, Ghostface
Killah and TLC in the same section of the record store.  And you'd never
find a store that would put those all in the R&B section.<

this is exactly what i was arguing against.  as i said, i used the
term black music as shorthand for music by black artists since,
after all, that's what the original (seemingly so innocuous)
comment was about - the lack of black artists on the lists here.  your
experience is obviously not universal in not seeing the term r&b applied
to all black (american) music - i have, or i wouldn't have said it.  and
you are also wrong about a music store not placing the artists this way.
i've seen a variety of black artists like those - prince, public enemy,
jimi hendrix - all in the same section of an - ahem - urban los angeles
tower records, about ten years ago.

so, living color?  black music.  beastie boys?  white music.  for the
original intent, that is, of talking about the lack of black artists, on
these lists here.
  and so forth.

> As far as the term "urban" goes, that's just a demographic. And it's
pretty much impossible to argue with.  The markets for R&B and hip-hop
are overwhelmingly in urban areas.  That's all it is.  The facts, ma'am.<

gee, i hate to be repetitive, but i didn't say the term didn't exist or
was baseless, i said i found it offensive.  i don't find anything
"impossible to argue with."  the term "urban" implies, to me, "poor" and a
host of other social classifications which don't belong (for me) in
marketing music.  but that's just me, that's just the way i interpret
it. maybe belle and sebastian should be called "college dorm," and michael
bolton "suburban duplex."  not a bad idea.

__

"Go! you may call it madness, folly
You shall not chase my gloom away!
There's such a charm in melancholy