Sinister: the last of the famous international playboys

Mctaggart, Robert MctaggartR at xxx.com
Mon Sep 28 16:14:25 BST 1998

Hello,

Regular viewers will be aware of my long-standing obsession with all
things Swedish, and Stockholm in particular.  So when the opportunity
arose to see that band you all keep going on about in my favourite city,
with several of my best friends, and all for the low, low price of 70
pounds, wild horses wouldn't keep me away.  This obviously leaves ample
scope for people to consider me, at best, a deeply sad human being, and
at worst, a stalker, but of course, nothing could be further from the
truth.  On the contrary, I can recommend wanton spur-of-the-moment
jetsetting to anyone.

I managed to pull off a once in a lifetime stunt of showing up without
actually telling a couple of my friends I was going, tapping them on the
shoulder, and watching their surprised expressions.  "What the hell are
you doing here?"  That was almost worth the airfare in itself.

At the venue, there was no Symington (surely the Bez of B&S), so instead
of blistering soul tunes, it was all a terribly 'indie', although I
liked hearing "Candyskin".  Ah well, some people love that sort of
thing, I guess.  (Incidentally, I won't go on about this, but when I
keep seeing posts where the word "twee" is used as a compliment?  It
isn't  - it's an insult, and certainly not something to aspire to.
Excuses that the word is being used "ironically" or being reclaimed as a
weapon against an uncaring world don't wash with me, I'm afraid.  But I
digress).  I didn't meet any Sinister kids this time, which was a shame,
but I didn't have time, sorry.

Anyway, the show....  Well, I'm not very good at compliments, I guess
the very fact I'm on this list speaks volumes about how fond I am of
Belle and Sebastian, but this show was special.  I've rarely seen a band
so obviously happy to be playing, and to one of the loveliest crowds
I've ever witnessed.  I do love seeing groups abroad, I think that
European audiences are more appreciative than their British equivalents,
maybe they're not so complacent cos they don't get so many chances, but
they weren't simpering and sycophantic, they just liked what they heard
and showed it.  It all seemed to come together on Saturday, the venue
was the perfect size, the crowd a delight, and B&S responded
accordingly, and were just fucking great, better than I've ever seen
them.

Afterwards, we went to a bar and we all got drunk, as is the custom; had
a fascinating debate about whether or not Celts were better than
Vikings; listened to The Clash (although Jani wanted to hear "Horny"),
and encountered a lunatic woman at the bar who told me off for drinking
Swedish beer - "it tastes of shit", she said, repeatedly.  She looked
vaguely psychotic so I wasn't about to argue with her.

I had four hours sleep all weekend, but I wouldn't have missed it for
the world.  I love Stockholm and next time, I'm taking you (yes, you),
baby.

Love
Tag xxx