Sinister: Last word on the Violent Femmes?

Mark Crutch xav at xxx.uk
Mon Sep 28 19:16:00 BST 1998

>> Anyone who hasn't heard the Femmes
>> eponymous first album should definitely do so. Very acoustic, but with a
>> great raw edge.
>>
> I was pretty shocked to read this, but then I noticed the "uk" in the
> email address and suddenly it all made sense.  Apparently, this album is
> not so well known outside of the US.  You'd have a tough time finding a
> white American between the ages of 18 and 30 who doesn't know the mid
> section of "Kiss Off" by heart.

That's about the size of it. I'm on a VF mailing list, as they play over
here very infrequently, and it's the only way I get to find out when, but
it seems that they're biggest in the States and Australia. In fact, from
their tour list, it seems that there can't be many people left in the US
who haven't seen them live! Though they do put on a good set (but perhaps a
bit raucous for the twee cardigan wearers around here ;)

Essentially they're not that well known in the UK (though I did once go to
a curry house in which the sitar tape started with a song that had the same
opening phrase as their first album!), so we've yet to get sick of hearing
them, as a nation. My post was just to suggest that other listees might
want to check out the eponymous album, as it has the most crossover with
B&S's style of any of their albums.

Their best single track, though, has to be "Hey Nonny Nonny" from their
fourth album: the lyrics were taken fron a 16th century poem by "The
Shepherd Tony"!!!!

Xav

xav at compsoc.man.ac.uk
http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~xav