Sinister: I was looking at the black and white world

Scott Turner Scott_Turner at xxx.COM
Mon Sep 28 20:05:36 BST 1998

On 28 September at 07:19 GMT, N Leggatt <leggattn wrote:

gee, i hate to be repetitive, but i didn't say the term didn't exist or
was baseless, i said i found it offensive.  i don't find anything
"impossible to argue with."  the term "urban" implies, to me, "poor" and a
host of other social classifications which don't belong (for me) in
marketing music.  but that's just me, that's just the way i interpret
it. maybe belle and sebastian should be called "college dorm," and michael
bolton "suburban duplex."  not a bad idea.

Urban.... to you.... implies poor? really? hmmm...now that's a revealing
prejudice.

I guess one would have to interpet what you mean by poor, but if you are
talking economics, you are simply incorrect.

Why would you not instead think urban to signify the sonic, social,
spatial, and economic  milieu that produces a certain kind of music.
I think, its an interesting way to classify things (as long as you don't
use it too reductively and use it based on hard observations and not
prejudices)- geography, when used in conjunction with other things, can be
extremely informative in understanding the multi-dimensionlaity of an
individual or group.

any way, enough of that.

.scott