Sinister: Etc, as usual

Reid Dossinger reid.dossinger at xxx.com
Tue Sep 29 04:14:02 BST 1998

Well, I've gone and lost the carefully cut-and-ready-to-be-pasted quote
(it took hours) that I had re: the vinyl being 150 gram.  But there you
go, subject introduced.  According to the little sticker on the outside
of the vinyl I bought, it is 150 gram vinyl, so Matador ain't lyin'.
But then again, I not exactly an expert on these things, so the wool
could be far over my eyes by now.

I'd just like to second this:

> Incidentally, I won't go on about this, but when I
> keep seeing posts where the word "twee" is used as a compliment?  It
> isn't  - it's an insult, and certainly not something to aspire to.
> Excuses that the word is being used "ironically" or being reclaimed as a
> weapon against an uncaring world don't wash with me, I'm afraid.

Hear, hear, rah, rah, go team.  Thank you.

So I get my new copy of CMJ today and there's a nice little article
about the shocking fact that Belle and Sebastian aren't touring.  For
the most part, the article is the same as the others...won't do
interviews, near-religious following, blah blah blah.  But it does
mention us.  It quotes Stevie as saying, "I just wasn't sure that the
songs (on The Boy...) were as good or something.  But to be honest with
you, whenever we make a record, I kind of get depressed about it.
Because I just think it could be a lot better."  Then it says:

"Some of the Belle and Sebastian's fans agree.  Internet lists devoted
to the band are ablaze with claims that for some reason it left its best
songs off the record, that it's selling out, that the title of the set's
first song is some sort of self-fufilling prophecy."

Let's start at the beginning.  THE Belle and Sebastian?!  Oh, that's
good.  Secondly, are there any other lists besides this one?  And I can
see the "best songs" comment, but who's said anything about "It Could
Have Been a Brilliant Career" being a self-fulfilling prophecy?!
Whoever it is, c'mere so I can give you a swift kick in the pants.  It's
already BEEN a brilliant career, and I think there are very, very few
people on this list who would say otherwise.  And if staying on a tiny
indie label rather than jumping ship to a major, turning over 1/3 of the
songwriting to other band members and not releasing a single is
considered to be "selling out", then we as a people are surely, shirley
doomed.

I had something else to say, but lucky you, I forgot.

Between the deep blue sea and the devil,
     Reid