Sinister: Bossanova, Race, Loud Music

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Mon Sep 28 03:44:11 BST 1998

Hiya,
> Then the normally quite sane Mick Mcmick wrote:

	Nice to know I'm normally quite sane...

> No, but there's loads of people in UK bands of West Indian descent,
> (which, Mick, is not in India, before you ask.) Or do they not count?

	I apologize for being wrong. It's just that I've never seen a picture
of anyone in non-Top 40 UK band that wasn't white, except Jyoti Mishra
and the fellow from Cornershop. Perhaps it's just the bands I
like.

Corpora Arenacea says:
> I guess the fact that that barrier, or whatever you want to call it,
> still exists to a large  extent irks me at least as much as the lack
> of really loud bands on the list.

	For some reason this just doesn't make sense to me. I mean, the idea of
someone being irked that a number of fans of a wimpy (yet tuneful)
little folk-pop band aren't fans of deafening guitar squeal and power
riffage is rather ludicrous to me. Of course, there's nothing wrong with
someone liking both, it's just that I think it's very odd to expect
people to, or at least get angry (or, irked) if they don't.

Also, Cynthia queries:
> What LP is that Mick McMick speaks
> of? Also check out the first album of Caetano Veloso (kind of regarded
> as the John Lennon of Brazil),

	By a stroke of fate, the LP is "Brasil" by Joao Gilberto (sorry, I
can't do the proper squiggly marks), Gilberto Gil, Maria Bethania, and,
yes, Caetano Veloso. Quite a lovely long-player.

João Henrique Horst electrically pens:
> Actually THERE WAS some bossa-nova on the lists.
> If not the classic João & Astrud Gilberto/Antonio Carlos (Tom)
> Jobim/Nara Leão/Edu Lobo stuff, we had Strereolab, Everything But The > Girl and others,

	True, I did miss that point. I guess it's hard for me to think of
Stereolab, EBTG, etc as bossanova.

 /"\_/"\_/"\   Mick McMick - bp224995 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu - ICQ#5056758
 \         /   Sandcastle Records - (same e-mail for now)